Sonoran Hotdog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had them in Tucson. Absolutely fantastic! Don't hesitate to try one. Although, they can be very dangerous to your waistline.

I get mine at a cart in a gas station parking lot just outside of Tucson Lazy Days KOA in Tucson. We spend Jan/Feb there every year. Leaving home on Jan 6th this year.

I sort of make them at home - grilled hot dog, mayo and mustard, bacon strip, chopped tomatoes and peppers. It's not as good, but it's not an everyday meal either. HEB Grocery (Texas Favorite) sells the bolillo rolls fresh made in the deli bakery.

I skipped over Tucson this year as well as last year. Last year because COVID was casing major problems in Tucson last December. They even had curfews. This year, I tried to make a reservation at the same RV park I always stay at in West Tucson (The Western Way RV Park) but it was booked. Big difference between December and January in AZ. Even here reservations are needed after, but not before, Jan 2. I booked a week here instead. I was originally planning a week at each place.

Next year, I will head for Tucson for sure. One of my favorite cities. Then I will go have a Sonoran Hot Dog by riding my electric motorcycle to such a place. It can go anywhere in Tucson from any edge of it, to any other edge, as they have EV charge stations all over Tucson, if I need them at all. I often take long rides in the Tucson area. I have been all over Tucson on my electric motorcycle, perhaps every edge of it in previous years.

If I can find my Sonoran hotdog any sooner, I will post it here. But in December for sure.

-Don- OPCNM, AZ

I looked at the menu here for hot dogs. No Sonoran hot doggies here at the Gastrack Restaurant, which is about ten yards from the Mexican Border and much of the food here is Mexican. Perhaps there is more American food on the other side of the border. :)

But I forgot to bring my passport. I left it in my old Y2K RV. I wasn't expecting to come here. As I have explained often before, about half the time I don't know where I am going until I get there. :)

-Don- Lukeville, AZ

Has anyone ever had one from a street vendor in Mexico or Arizona?
Yes, today!! I had two of them at the place @PancakeBill suggested.

Very delicious! I had them with Mango juice.

A shady place there to eat also!

The place was very busy for a while! They had had long line and they were having trouble keeping up with the orders for a while, around 1445 hrs. Not a time I would expect a place to be so busy. Obviously, the place is famous in Tucson. They have two cooks there.

They even bacon wrap the large pepper. Best tasting pepper I have ever had.

The two Sonoran Hotdogs with everything possible on them, with the Mango juice cost me $9.50.

It didn't happen if no photos so:

HDtruck.JPGSHD.JPGtables.JPG

-Don- Tucson, AZ

Cool.

Will you be checking out any of the other places on your list?
Before I leave Tucson, I will try having one in a real restaurant and see how they compare. You may pick the place for me, see message 15 for the list of places to try here in Tucson.

-Don- Tucson, AZ

You may pick the place for me
Well, I think the roll is the most important ingredient for this.

So, the bun must be a bolillos and toasted.

What was the name of the place you already went to?

How about this place:

Those buns are a signature of “El Guero”: thick, fluffy bolillo rolls. Unlike typical hot dog rolls, these are sliced across part of the top, creating a “boat” in which to nestle the hot dog and its’ hefty heap of toppings.

What was the name of the place you already went to?
El Teo. As it says in the top photo. But yeah, I noticed the buns were not the true Sonoran style there, but I doubt that will change the taste any.

Okay, I will check the place out you mentioned above before I leave Tucson.

-Don- Tucson, AZ

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom