Soon to be EmptyNesters - need suggestions on RV to get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoTeamMaise

We plan on purchasing a small (19?) travel trailer within the next few years. We are doing our research on which will be right fit for us... want others opinions on what you have or have had and your experience with quality and customer service.

Would love to have an airstream but that is way out of our budget. 

Want a bed already out and a bathroom (not wet bath). We'll have a 5500 tow rating...

Welcome to THR RV FORUM.

Our library has a lot of good reference material and our membership is very knowledgable.  We are a friendly bunch and we enjoy helping each other by answering questions and dispensing advice.  Additionally, participation in our discussions will net additional knowledge and allow  you to form new RV friendships. 

Welcome aboard!

If you plan to use your current vehicle to tow this new trailer, what is it?  Many variables come into play as in what you can or should tow safely behind.  Just saying it pulls 5500#, well most trailers 19' weigh more than that empty.  You need to consider tongue weight as well.  Where you need to start is, what do you have, what is it rated to tow, and what is the payload it can have.  Welcome to the RV Forum, we'll be glad to point you in the right direction. 

Trailers the weight size you can safely tow are very limited. Almost none will have a permanent bed.  If they do it will be nearly twin size.  I assume you have a smaller SUV, so realistically your best option would be a tent trailer, or a tear drop style. 

Welcome to the RV Forum GoTeamMaise

While your choices may be limited but just keep looking and studying the forum. And feel free to post any questions.

Welcome to the forum. I already own a nice for me travel trailer (TT), but, since I have no life, I checked out some popup trailers. There are some very nice ones and they cost a whole lot less than a TT. Since your tow vehicle (TV) is so limited in the cargo capacity and towing capacity, as donn noted, you may need to consider a tear drop or popup. 

We have a Winnebago Winnie Drop. 17? and 3800 lbs GVW. Queen size permanent bed, full kitchen with 3 way fridge/freezer, dinette that converts to bed. I pull it with a 2016 Nissan Frontier with a tow rating of 5800 lbs. There are other brands of TT that have similar stats as our drop. You can into one for under $20k brand new. One drawback to the Drop is a wet bath.

Oldgator73 said:
We have a Winnebago Winnie Drop. 17? and 3800 lbs GVW. Queen size permanent bed, full kitchen with 3 way fridge/freezer, dinette that converts to bed. I pull it with a 2016 Nissan Frontier with a tow rating of 5800 lbs.  One drawback to the Drop is a wet bath.

I don't get the objection to a wet bath. But, since you brought it up, the Winnebago Winnie Drop 170S has a separate shower and a GVWR of 3800 lbs. and is 20 ft. Looks like all the Drop models can be towed by many small trucks and SUVs.

What kind of mileage do you get when towing? Bet, it's better than my 13 mpg on my Durango.

IBTripping said:
I don't get the objection to a wet bath. But, since you brought it up, the Winnebago Winnie Drop 170S has a separate shower and a GVWR of 3800 lbs. and is 20 ft. Looks like all the Drop models can be towed by many small trucks and SUVs.

What kind of mileage do you get when towing? Bet, it's better than my 13 mpg on my Durango.

You get better mileage than I do.

Gator, isn't your Frontier a 4wd? What ratio gears do you have in the differentials? That two things could make the difference in your gas mileage and his.

kdbgoat said:
Gator, isn't your Frontier a 4wd? What ratio gears do you have in the differentials? That two things could make the difference in your gas mileage and his.

Yes, it?s 4wd. I don?t know what the gears are. I do get bad gas mileage though. Pulling the trailer I think I get about 10.

If you want more meaningful answers, we really are going to need to know how you plan to use it, and what type of tow vehicle you have, not just the tow rating, as there are other factors involved in knowing what you can tow, such as the cargo carrying capacity of the vehicle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom