Soon-To-Be RVers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dparker

Hello!? We are soon-to-be RVers from New Hampshire.? We are both teachers who have summers off, so we figured that a camper would be a great way to spend our summers with our two young boys (ages 2 and 7).?

We've been to three RV shows in the last six months and recently bought our tow-vehicle (Chevy Trailblazer . . . I know -- not exactly an F-450, but we're starting small).? We are planning to buy the camper next spring, but have not made some important decisions -- new or used? pop-up or hybrid or travel trailer?? Any suggestions?

We are also planning our first trip for next summer -- a 30-day trip to Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton, and maybe Newfoundland.? Any suggestions for things to see or do on this trip?

I'm looking forward to learning from all of you who have "been there, done that."? Thank you in advance for all your wisdom!? ?:)

-- Derek & Cara

Yeah, keep things small and light.  Exactly which Trailblazer did you get?  That will determine the maximum size that you can tow.

We got a 2004 Trailblazer LT with the 4.2L I-6 engine, trailer towing package and Class III hitch.  The owner's manual says that it can tow 7,200lbs.  I'm leaning more towards getting a nice pop-up like the Jayco 1206.  My wife wants a travel trailer -- something in the 17-21 foot range.  Maybe we compromise and get a hybrid?

dparker said:
We got a 2004 Trailblazer LT with the 4.2L I-6 engine, trailer towing package and Class III hitch.? The owner's manual says that it can tow 7,200lbs.? I'm leaning more towards getting a nice pop-up like the Jayco 1206.? My wife wants a travel trailer -- something in the 17-21 foot range.? Maybe we compromise and get a hybrid?

Hmmm.  Are you sure that you are reading that right?  The highest tow rating that Trailer Life gives for the 4.2L engine is 6300 lbs and that wiith the 4.10 rear end and 2 wheel drive.  A model with the 5.3 V8 gets 7100 lbs, but that is not your unit.  What is the rear end ratio of your Trailblazer and is it 2WD or 4WD?

Once we sort out your actual tow rating and apply some safety factors based on your projected travel (East or Mountain West) you can figger the heaviest trailer you can haul and do your shopping based on what you can do. 

You are correct.  It is 6,300lbs in 2x4 and 6,100lbs in 4x4.  I really wanted to buy a Chevy Avalanche, but the high gas prices scared me away from the 8-cyl. engine. 

We are going to start with a Canadian Maritimes trip next summer.  After that, we would like to head west (maybe Utah or Arizona).  My wife is really pushing for an ultra-lite travel trailer, but I think we would be better off with a pop-up, especially with our tow-vehicle. 

Any thoughts?

OK,  if Utah and the mountain/Pacific west are your plans, then look for a trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating of 5300 lbs if you have the 2wd, 5200 lbs if you have the 4wd. 

You should be able to find a number of small TTs and Hybrids in those ratings.  Go to dealers and shows and sample what is out there in that rating.  You can find the GVWR on the DOT plate usually found on the forward port side of the trailer.

Thanks for the help!? There's just so much to learn . . . it can be overwhelming!?

Any thoughts on the whole pop-up/hybrid/travel trailer debate?? I've read/heard that ultra-lites, by their very nature, are not as rugged or sturdy as other campers.? Would we be better served by a more solid pop-up (such as the Jayco 1206 or the Fleetwood Niagara) or by an ultra-lite travel-trailer or hybrid?? I'm concerned about durability.? My wife is concerned about bears clawing their way into our pop-up and mauling us all to death. :)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

-- Derek

Light weight trailers are not as durable as their heavier cousins.  If you are going to full time in a trailer, that is a concern.  But you are not, you are going to use it as a vacation trailer.

For example, I have been hauling a lightweight 23' TT, a  Fleetwood Prowler 23LV,  since 1996.  The dryweight is around 4600, the GVWR is around 5400 lbs.  It is in fine shape.  The only thing that has been replaced is the valve assembly of the water heater.  And of course three rounds of tires.  Travel trailers are simple durable shapes.  Hybrids give you a lot of space per foot and lb. but they expose cloth to weather.  Look around, enjoy the shopping.  No one can buy a trailer for you, you know what you want and need.  We sure don't.

Bears?!  Maybe your lady does not want an RV, maybe she wants an armored personnel carrier?  A Bradley Fighting Vehicle is as bit pricey but maybe you all could pick up a bargain in a used M113 or a Russian BAP2.  ;D

I have camped in both pop up trailers & most recently in a very nice hybrid. Was night & day for me. the pop ups even the very nice ones do not have the cabnet space/restroom convenience as the hybrid. but it is definitely a personal choice. I also have a family of 4 & the cabnet space & a tub was a real + for us. I will miss it but I bought some quads real shortly after buying it so I just traded it in on a motor home. :D
John

Let me add one thing about travel trailers:? ?their facilities are available for use on the road, merely by stopping, walking back, and opening the door and getting in.? This is nice for lunch stops and the restroom breaks.? ?No more need for dubious gas station rest rooms.?

If the weather stinks and it is raining sheets, you can stay hitched and simply walk back open the door and climb in.? ?At the most you just need to plug in the electric.? ?That applies in nice weather when all you are doing is overnighting at a camp ground and do not want to unhitch.? ?Plug in and you are in business.

That latter may be possible with a hybrid but make sure that the front bed can be extended with the trailer still hitched.? ?Measure the extension of the bed beyond the hitch coupler.  Then measure from the ball to the rear of your truck.  If that is less than the extension, there is a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom