Sorry folks, another Battery thread, sorta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke Boater

My buddy has been trying to fit a couple 12v group 27 batteries in a small hatch on his boat for the trolling motor with no luck. I did some researching this morning and I'm about to be convinced/converted to lithium ion batteries. Yeah, the upfront cost, but giving the fact that they almost linear across the discharge rate at full amperage and recharge faster, I think almost all of us will pay for a better mouse trap in other aspects of our lives, why not our RV batterys. I like the efficiency of the recharging and the weight difference, especially in my boats is huge plus. Any of you seasoned off grid'ers have some thought to throw in, I'm all ears,,,gregg
Here is just one vid I picked, there are many out there to watch
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lithium+ion+100ah+vs+lead+acid+100ah&&view=detail&mid=3FFB2E83E83D1CE05C493FFB2E83E83D1CE05C49&&FORM=VRDGAR

Here ya go. They're doing 48 volt. May give you some ideas though.

http://www.beginningfromthismorning.com/house-batteries-part-1/

The lithium's are great batteries, but for me it is a cost vs return situation. If I boondocked a lot more than I do it may be a consideration, but I only occasionally boondock and when I do the wet cell 6 volts are plenty adequate. That is also why I have not invested in solar. Another good option for off grid camping, just not my particular style at this point in my life.

I think Marty summed it up pretty well.  It's a lot of extra cost for a moderate return (vs AGM or even flooded cell deep cycles).  There is also a potential technical concern with the charging system - not all chargers work well with LiFe batteries.  The 12v LiFe batteries designed as plug-in replacements for lead acid batteries appear to work ok with most chargers, but the tech wizards say that level of lead-acid charge compatibility reduces the advantages as well.  I don't know the truth of that, so consider it rumor worth further investigation. I do know that most of the tech studies I find are for 48v (or more) systems tailored to use in vehicles or big-time solar power systems.

I'm not anti-lithium, but I'm thinking that most owners won't get enough extra benefit to be worth the price, even though the advantages are significant.  Your situation may differ, but justification is tough at $950-$1200 for a 100AH LiFe battery.  I'll grant, though, that the total life-cycle cost may be more attractive, assuming you don't end up replacing them for some other reason before end-of-normal-life.  Boat and RV batteries are exposed to damage, heat, corrosion, etc, that can raise havoc with the lifetimes observed in a lab or specialized environment.  Electric vehicles, for example, have battery cooling systems to help manage the environment.

Back
Top Bottom