Southwest Airlines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

After we get to AZ, I must drive The Admiral to Phoenix (likely from Tucson) to put her on a SW Airline trip to Baltimore to help bring a new grandbaby into the world.  Then I pick her up again on Oct 30.  This is the first time I bought tickets on the Internet.

Here is my question:

We got email confirming the purchase (great rates BTW  $99 each way).  But what do we use for tickets?

Either they mail them to you are you pick them up at the airport (with suitable ID, of course).  Ask the agency you are working with.

Or just make a reservation through the airline and buy the tickets at the airport when you arrive.  You should be able to get the same rates for the same dates/times, unless the travel agent put you through as part of a tour package of some sort.

If they're etickets, you don't need a ticket per se. Southwest has machines at airports that allow you to enter the reservation number and print your boarding pass. If checking luggage, or if no machine, you just give the eticket info/confirmation number at the time of check-in.

One bugaboo with etickets that caused me a problem one time; Airline A cancelled the flight at the last minute and we had to go to airline B in a different terminal to try to get on one of their flights. When we got there, airline B wouldn't honor the etickets and we had to go back to the first terminal to get airline A to issue paper tickets which were then accepted by airline B. Since that experience, I've always asked for paper tickets to be mailed to me even if I have to pay a few $ extra for them.

Did you buy the ticket online from SW or from some agency?

Smoky

Also be aware that Phoenix airport has a north and south pickup area so that the Admiral lets you know which side of the building to pick her up at.  We have had that problem many years ago.

Smoky said:
But what do we use for tickets?

Smokey,
On my many flights with internet ordered  airline tickets, I've just printed the confirmation received via email. I show that piece of paper and they punch that number into their computer terminal.  I almost always check in curbside and they take my luggage and I go away hands free. I almost always call ahead to check the flight just to avoid the  problem mentioned by Tom, if they  know  ahead of time of a delay or cancellation.  As Lorna mentions it is good to know which terminal for pick up. A cell phone on arrival will also announce your position to a person waiting in the parking lot with the car. Of course you need 2 cell phones.  Have a nice flight.

Betty

And don't forget to get there early as Southwest doesn't preassign seats.

Wendy

Actually, you can go to www.southwestair.com, the go to "Check In Online", and print your boarding pass.  You can do this 24 hours prior to the scheduled take-off time.  Then you just take any bags your checking to the concierge, he'll tag it for you, then you just head to the gate.  The check in online prints your boarding passes right there on your printer.  If you're not comfortable with this, then you can check in at the counter with your ID.

edjunior said:
Actually, you can go to www.southwestair.com, the go to "Check In Online", and print your boarding pass.

I forgot about that option. I've done it for a number of our visitors.

Good to know about printing out the boarding passes ahead of time. I'm flying from Ontario to Pittsburgh next month and it looks like doing two separate tickets, Ontario to Phoenix and Phoenix to Pittsburgh, is going to be the best deal. Last time I flew Southwest, you had to line up hours ahead of time to get decent seats.

Wendy

Smoky,

One other caution.  U.S. Air has bought Southwest. I don't know when the official date is for all the signs to change but don't be surprised if you arrive at the airport and can't find a Southwest counter.

We flew on Southwest Airlines this past week. I printed our boarding passes off the internet about 4 hours prior to take-off.  The boarding passes will show an "A", "B" or "C".  The earlier you get your boarding pass the better your chances of getting an A or B.  When it is time to board, the A group boards first and takes their choice of seats on Southwest.  Next comes the B group and the C group has to take what is left. If the plane is full, that usually means middle seats are all that left.  At Phoenix, Southwest flies out of Terminal 4.
Jake

I fly Southwest on a regular basis and I like their open seating policy.  The online check-in system eliminates the need to arrive at the airport several hours early to get a good seat. 

Go to Southwest's web site (www.southwest.com) and click on Travel Center, then select "Retrieve/Email Air Reservation".  Enter your confirmation number and it will display all the details of your flight(s) and verifies that you have an E-ticket instead of a printed one.

With an e-ticket, just check into the same page 24 hours before your flight leaves, click on "Check In Online / Print boarding pass" and you'll be able to print out your boarding pass.  This is the document you need to get onto the plane, which means you don't have to stand in line at the airport ticket counter - you can go through security and go right to the gate.  If you want to check your bags there are express lines in the ticket counter area or you can give them to the curbside skycap.  Checking in 24 hours in advance virtually guarantees you'll get one of the coveted "A" boarding passes, which lets you onto the plane with the first group of passengers, right after the people who qualify for pre-boarding.  If you have a condition that qualifies you for pre-boarding, you can get a pre-boarding pass at the gate when you get there.

If you can't print out your boarding pass online, you can do it using the airport kiosks, but you'll probably get a "B" or "C" boarding pass.  These groups board after the "A" group, so you'll have less chance of finding two adjacent seats.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
One other caution.  U.S. Air has bought Southwest. I don't know when the official date is for all the signs to change but don't be surprised if you arrive at the airport and can't find a Southwest counter.

Another Urban Legend  ;D ;D US Air is in bankruptcy and couldn't afford to buy anyone, let alone the most profitable airline in the country. Actually, US Air is merging with America West Airlines, not sure which is acquiring which. The merger was effective yesterday, IIRC, and the signage will start changing on 10/4.

Lou said:
If you want to check your bags there are express lines in the ticket counter area...

I didn't know that. Thanks Lou.

Thanks to all for the very excellent information.

Likely we will end up with B or C because we have no printer on board, and also it might be hard for us to check the web site if we have to wait until only 24 hours ahead of time.  48 hours would have been nice.  ???

Anyway I am going to make sure the Admiral reads this and that we have our cell phones synchronized.  :D

I just flew America West (just got back Friday), and yes they are merging with USAir.  I would assume that since USAir is keeping the name, and America West will go away, that they are the "merger" and America West the "mergee" (is that proper English??), but in the world of mergers and takeovers, who really knows for sure.

Smoky said:
Likely we will end up with B or C because we have no printer on board,

Smokey,
I can't believe you don't have a printer on board.  Golf clubs and no printer???  We have a HP deskjet 450.  It's small and prints very well.  Jerry F told us about it and  you only need 7 inches by 13.5 by 3 inches high to store it.  We put it on a pull out drawer so we can use it when we pull out the drawer.  Just thinking  of you.

Betty

Back
Top Bottom