Spare Keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
Here's one that'll get you puckered. A few weeks ago, Cyndi and I met Tom and Theresa (Heli_av8tor) and Jeff and Judy (Alpena Jeff) at an isolated boondocking site in the Arizona desert - KOFA. They were already there when we arrived, and before we pulled into the camping area, I disconnected the Jeep in case I had to do any backing. Cyndi followed me in the Jeep to the site.

After finding a pretty level spot, I got out of the RV while it was idling, to look the area over before putting the jacks down (My normal routine.) I had closed the door, because our 10 year old Blue Heeler (Sheila) was with us, and I didn't want her getting out and running around in case I had to re-position the RV.

Satisfied that the site was OK, I went to get back in the RV, but to my shock, the door was locked! Sheila had pawed at the door in an attempt to get out with me, and in doing so, had locked it. So there we were... 50 miles from Yuma, in the middle of the desert, locked out of our RV while the engine was idling. I hadn't left any windows open, so there was no crawling through one.

When we had purchased the RV about five years earlier, I had hidden a spare remote key fob and deadbolt key in a compartment that was accessible from the outside, and fortunately the battery in the key fob was still good. One click and the lock opened right up. Whew!

And there was Sheila in the stair well, happy to see me, wagging her tail and wanting to get out. I'm soooo glad I had hidden some spare door keys keys where I could get to them. Next time, I think I'll put Sheila in the Jeep. Just thought I'd share that with you.

Kev

Great story, thanks for sharing.  I?ve been there also once and had a spare key, not on me but only 2 miles away...

I am probably 'over-spared keyed' in that I keep an extra complete set in each vehicle and also a set  in a small magnetic box inside the LP compartment.  Don't trust magnet so it is also taped with gorilla tape.  Thankfully none have been needed yet.  Good post - may serve as a reminder to folks  of how to keep yourself out of getting into a pickle.

Bill

Yup, me too...over-keyed if anything.  Spare RV key hidden on the outside of the RV, spare Jeep key hidden on the outside of the Jeep.  There's also spare RV keys on the Jeep key ring, and another spare Jeep key on the RV key ring.
I've only had both of these vehicles around 2 years and both spare keys have been used at least once(I've used the RV key more than that).

I always have a spare door key to the RV (actually also to the cargo bays and ignition) and to the Jeep on the key ring in my pocket.

When I was having extra door keys made for our coach, the fellow mis-cut a drivers door key. He cut another one to replace it, but gave me the bad one as well, since he thought it might work. I found that it does work if you don't insert it quite all the way in the lock. That's the key I have hidden outside for emergency use. Even if someone finds it, if they don't know the trick, it won't work. There are spares for the other keys inside.

We were going on a trip last year and got several hours from home when I discovered I didn?t have the keys for the TT. We stopped at a locksmith and they worked on it for what seemed like several hours. I finally told them to drill it out. They wanted to only charge us like $20 but I think I gave them $50 because they worked on it so long. Ended up having a pretty good prime rib at Outback. Keys were found on dining room table when we returned.

All of my vehicles and all of my kids vehicles and all their kids vehicles have a spare key in a zip lock bag duct taped to the frame.  I'm the one that gets the call when there is a problem and I don't want locked out problems. 

The magnetic boxes fall off and also leak. A ziplock bag with duct tape is pretty reliable.

In each of those vehicles there is a $20 bill in the registration folder so that in an emergency they have some cash for gas, etc. 

No key fobs, just real keys.  Electronics can fail...keys not so much.

Great story.  I learned a lesson in my youth, and always have spares available for everything, including motorcycles and my kids cars.  But the engine running,  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Had the EXACT same thing happen a couple years ago, except the rig was sitting in a parking lot with the engine running! Dog had jumped into the driver's seat and hit the lock knob.

I also keep a spare set of keys in an outside compartment so there was no panic... just relief that the paranoid action I took five years ago finally paid off. :)

The $20 bill is nice, but I recommend more like $100 in cash hidden.  If you ever get into a situation where the power goes out or phone systems go down, having cash can buy you emergency gas to get out of the area and food. 

JudyJB said:
The $20 bill is nice, but I recommend more like $100 in cash hidden.  If you ever get into a situation where the power goes out or phone systems go down, having cash can buy you emergency gas to get out of the area and food.

Just don't let the kids know the $100 is there. lol

JudyJB said:

We carry over a $100 for the things that you mention.  However the kids car's, which I check every now and then, tend to need replenishing every now and then. That's what Grandad's are for. So I keep it at $20.  LOL

The other thing I always do is top off the gas tank before going into the Los Angles area. I was in the Loma Prieta  earthquake and you couldn't buy gasoline anywhere for a couple days due to no electricity.

My dog locked me out --- when I was on the patio in the hot tub!  He nudged the 2 x 4 I use to block the slider.  Luckily I always go out in a robe, but still felt pretty silly tiptoeing around to the front to open the garage door!  From then on, I moved that 2 x 4 way far away!

Just this week I went to my favorite locally owned hardware store to get extra keys for my TT since I only had one. Got 2 extra keys made. Left the store feeling proud of myself until I got to the SUV and discovered I lost the original key. How's that for good timing in making extra keys. Fortunately, I traced my steps back to the hardware store and found the lost key laying on the ground.  ::) Gave myself several dope slaps for procrastinating so long to get extra keys.  :(

winona said:
My dog locked me out --- when I was on the patio in the hot tub!  He nudged the 2 x 4 I use to block the slider.  Luckily I always go out in a robe, but still felt pretty silly tiptoeing around to the front to open the garage door!  From then on, I moved that 2 x 4 way far away!
Yep those dogs will do it every time.  My wife took the dog with her to the grocery this winter and since it was cold she left the car run as it was only a quick stop for some milk.  The dog watched her out the window while standing on the arm rest. Did I mention the arm rest has all the window and door lock buttons. Did the dog step on the door lock?  You bet and I got a call at home for a rescue.  So if it is too hot or cold and a short trip is in order the dog stays home.

Bill N said:
Yep those dogs will do it every time.  My wife took the dog with her to the grocery this winter and since it was cold she left the car run as it was only a quick stop for some milk.  The dog watched her out the window while standing on the arm rest. Did I mention the arm rest has all the window and door lock buttons. Did the dog step on the door lock?  You bet and I got a call at home for a rescue.  So if it is too hot or cold and a short trip is in order the dog stays home.

When our dog was still with us, if I left her in the car for a quick "milk run", etc, I used the remote start to keep the A/C or heat running with the doors locked and the keys in my pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom