spare tire carrier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skid1947

i tried this on another forum...got nothing. class c motor home spare tire carrier. mounts to the bumper. no problem until dual wheels are introduced. the deep dish design makes the wheel jut way out from the motorhome. all the carriers i can find are for a 5th wheel or travel trailer. different wheels. i know this product has been available in the past (friend has on on his 1997 coachmen. checked rv salvage and e-bay with no luck.  camping world (they are in the business right?) was no help.
ok, jump right in there expert old timers ?

skid1947 said:
i tried this on another forum...got nothing. class c motor home spare tire carrier. mounts to the bumper. no problem until dual wheels are introduced. the deep dish design makes the wheel jut way out from the motorhome. all the carriers i can find are for a 5th wheel or travel trailer. different wheels. i know this product has been available in the past (friend has on on his 1997 coachmen. checked rv salvage and e-bay with no luck.  camping world (they are in the business right?) was no help.
ok, jump right in there expert old timers ?

I don't understand the reference to dual wheels.  The duals are nothing but two wheels mounted back-to-back or face-to-face, depending on your point of view.  All six wheels on your class-C are identical.

My old class-c had a spare tire carrier mounted on the back.

but the dual wheel is a very deep dish wheel. turned one way on the mount it would stick way out. turned the other way it would tuck up cloe to the bumper. the mount available is for a standard trailer wheel with little offset. if you mount the dually wheel to it in the only way possible it sticks out from the motor home bumper like its in another time zone.

My buddy has a C5500 based Super C. He has a spare, I just can't remember where it is. I'll have to ask him.

Where you at? Would be a pretty simple fab job to make a spare tire mount, maybe someone will know a shop near you.

I'd make stud extensions for the standard mount that allow me to mount the tire as I wanted. Make sure to use beefy enough stock to account for the weight.

Ken

thanks guys. sure i can make it. just looking to help out the economy by buying one.

this stems from a larger problem. the class c cab and chassis manf. don't ship the unit with a spare tire and wheel, so when the motorhome is purchased it has no spare. this way everyone evades any liability when some ole fart tries to change a flat. they want you to call for roadside assistance to change the flat. being an old fart, i object to this line of bs. if i have a flat in resume speed texas, i don't want to wait seven days for a tire and or wheel gets to me. so, i now have a new wheel and tire mounted and ba :Dlanced with the correct valve stem. its riding in the storage compartment .jack and proper lug wrench and wheel chocks.

i will change my own flat tires, THANK YOU ALl VERY MUCH.

My buddy's spare is on a hoist at the rear of his. Looks to be a hoist that was added by Gulfstream, not Chevrolet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom