Spare Tires (Not Around My Belly)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesolo

The wife and I are pretty new to the RV lifestyle and always looking for good/safe ideas. We met some folks in Biloxi who carry a spare tire and wheel in case of a flat. He had no real intention of changing it himself but said he would be ready for roadside assistance to simply change his flat with the ready to go premounted one.  I think he ran into a situation once where the roadside assistance didn't have his tire or something on a holiday weekend so he got himself prepared for the next time. Does anyone have any thoughts on carrying a spare tire/wheel?  Thanks in advance.

Joe

Hi Joe,

With the Phaeton you have a pretty good sized tire/wheel combo. That will take up a lot of space. If you have the room, you might carry just the tire. At least the tow company should be able to change it for the flat. The combo will weigh quite a bit and cut into your payload and storage space. With just the tire you can place items inside to help reduce the lost space. If you carry the tire you probably will never need to use it. If you don't, you just might. :) We live in a 40' Dream and don't have a spare. I just don't have space to carry it since we full time. Many of us do not carry a spare.

BTW, I work part time for a dealership that sells the Phaeton. I have been favorably impressed with the improvements over the past 3 years. My wife has been looking too long at the new ones. ;D Hope you are having good luck with yours.

Jim,

Thank you for your insight. We are extremely pleased with the Phaeton. We bought it brand spankin new and the one little issue (remote controlled power door awning doesn't work) I can live with til I take it back to get service. We love it. I often tell my wife, Brenda, that the folks on the more expensive coaches may have a few more bells and whistles but aren't having any more fun. We can't wait to take off again in it!

Joe

I have one (mounted) that was with the RV when I bought it. ?It has never been on the ground even though it's four years old. ?I'll continue to carry it until it's too old to be safe. ?I'm not sure I'll replace it then. ?My small tires are very common (235/85/16) so I'm not too worried about ERS not being able to locate one and I do have the jacks and tools to change it myself in a TRUE emergency. ?My trip this year will be a 13000 mile jaunt to Alaska and back, so I'll feel better with it on-board. ?I'll be interested in the responses you get here. ? ?lou

joesolo said:
Does anyone have any thoughts on carrying a spare tire/wheel?  Thanks in advance.

Joe

Joe,

I don't carry one but if I ever felt the need this is the setup I'd use.

www.rvtirecarrier.com

I'd only carry the tire because any competent road service can put the tire on your rim. My only concern would be with a rear radiator MH would be maybe a blockage of cooling air.

Joe,

My first MH had a spare tire (245/80 22.5). I carried it for 86,000 miles including to and from Alaska. It had zero miles on it when we traded. My current MH does not have a spare (295/80 22.5).

I carry one and actually rotate it onto the ground in the normal rotation of tires at wheel bearing time.    I  have had one flat on the road -- in the middle of the Blackfoot Rez in Montana.  I was really, really glad I had the spare. 

Don't count on ERS having a spare or being able to mount your tire only onto the rim.  Most tow componies do not have that capability.  They will tow you to the nearest tire dealer or if there is a truck stop open.  I did this many times over the course of four years towing. The biggest pain to tow are 5ers, when we didn't have a special truck to pull them, now they throw a set of dolly tires under and tow it away.

Mike

I carry a spare and have used it twice.

Rotating the spare when you rotate tires will add 20-25% to your tire life -- the tire will age faster than the on-ground ones if you don't rotate it due to stagnations of the oils in the tire.

I also carry an elelctric impact wrench/generator and can change a tire in 15 minutes or less and I'm 76 years young. Might say I even enjoy the lie down on the road-shoulder once in a while.

Tilly often says, "You're weird, sir."

tyefighter said:
Don't count on ERS having a spare or being able to mount your tire only onto the rim.

Mike

Then you need CoachNet for your ERS. If you tell them that you have a spare that needs mounted then they will send someone with the right equipment and know how to do it.

Hi Joe,

Glad you are enjoying the Phaeton. I'm sure you know, but just in case, if I remember correctly there's a switch on the master control panel that will turn off the remote control operation. Can't remember if it does both the main awning and door awning together. You might just check that if you haven't already. I'm sure you have checked the battery in the remote. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom