Special Roasting Stick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brawleymom

This wonderful past weekend we continued the tradition of making what we call Brown Bears--using a hot dog stick, you take biscuit dough and wrap it around it and roast 'til golden brown. Then, dip in melted butter and coat in cinnamon sugar.? YUM.? This weekend, a newbie to our group brought what he called an official brown bear maker. It look like a single hot dog stick but was much thicker in diameter (and only had one prong). It worked so much better because the dough got cooked from the inside as well.? He has no idea where he got it, and no one really knows what to call it.? ?

Any ideas what it is and where I can get it?

If I understand, I think I have seen tem in hardware stores...the older types that carry the cast iron cookware. Of course you could always use a large nail through a stick.......cheap ;)

thanks for your suggestions--but I still haven't found it. The diameter of the metal part is similar to that of a curling iron (a small one tho')? And it is SOLID so the inside of the dough seems to bake from the inside too.

SOMEONE has to have seen this...even the person who brought it doesn't know.? ?

Look for some aluminum rods, maybe some square ones to keep the dough form turning on the rod.  The Cajuns started using aluminum "cooking nails" when frying turkeys.  They shove them into the thick parts to carry heat into the center of the bird.  But be careful handling aluminum rods - the thermal coefficient is very high and heat will run down to the end you are trying to hold very quickly.  You might take some dowel rod, drill a hole and tap the aluminum into it to make a handle.

I do not use this as a roasting stick, but I do use a rotisserie spit as a poker for stirring the fire

You can often find these at places that sell grill accessories

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom