Specifications on older units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjesmer

Does anyone know where I might be able to find some specifications on 1990 thru 1998 model RVs. Primarily the maximum weight that they can be towed by class A's from this time frame. I'm looking to get a used unit inthis time frame and want to try and get something that will tow either my Jeep or my wife's minivan rather than having to get another toad. Thanks

Hi Pjesmer,

We just spent several months ourselves going through the same research and just purchased our very first RV, a 40 ft 1996 Country Coach Intrigue.

We obtained a CD Rom from the RV Consumer Group (www.rv.org).  It contains most if not all of the information you're looking for.  It also contains safety ratings (GCWR, GVWR,etc) and customer satisfaction/reliability ratings.  It lists nearly all class A thru class C RV manufacturer models from the mid 1990's thru 2006.

Once we narrowed down a list of potential RV models we went to the manufacturer's websites and downloaded archived information/specs on that specific model.

Best of luck on your search!  ;D

Regards,

Tarra

Once you identify the chassis used under the coach you usually can readily determine the GCWR and GVWR, which govern the max towing capacity. The only other variable is the receiver hitch itself and that is usually labeled and/r stamped with a rating or hitch class, e.g. Class IV.

Generally speaking, older gas coaches will have a 3000-4000 lb max towing capacity and diesels will be 4000-10,000 lbs, depending on the chassis used.  Even new gas coaches usually have a 4000 lb hitch and tow rating.  Your minivan is probably around 3600-4100 lbs unless you have one of the earliest model Dodge/Plymouths which I believe were somewhat lighter. Jeep CJ's are light enough to tow with most anything, but Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, Wagoneers, etc. will all probably exceed a gas coach's towing capacity.

You also have to determine what weight the chassis can handle before requiring supplemental brakes on the towed vehicle. Gas models usually were limited to 1,000-1,500 #s, Freightliner chassis in the mid to late 90's could handle up to 5,000 #s without brakes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom