Specs on Ford F150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpencerPJ

So, I'm considering upgrading my Yukon XL, and looking at Ford F150's.  Want a king cab, 4 full size doors.  I figured I would start my adventure looking at cars.com and sorting out options.  Well, the available sort is lame, and often the descriptions are as lame.  I don't have too high of demands, Tow 9000+ lbs, payload maybe 1800+.  Looking at something 1-2 years old, still with some warranty left, possible certified used warranty.  (I've owned my 05 Yukon XL since 07, I tend to keep them).

My question: Is there a Ford website that I can plug a vin# into and get the exact specifics to a particular truck?  I have found a few like this one https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php?vin=1FTEW1E58JFC64421 , but all the vins I plug in keep giving the same technical specs. 

Any recommendations from you Ford guys with newer F150s?  I wouldn't mind having more power than I need, and prefer to stay away from diesel.  moma wants heated seats so that instantly throws me into nicer packages  ;)

Have you tried going to a local ford dealers site. I found this one pretty quick

https://www.gillandford.com/used-Ozark-2018-Ford-F+150-XLT-1FTEW1CB3JFB31574

That's a year newer than the truck that we have.

Towing cap is 10,500 and cargo cap is 1755 for ours. And we love it

Gizmo100, that is a perfect example of my confusion.  Your link went to a nice truck, I look under the 'specs' and it is not for that specific truck.  Heck, it says max towing is 5000#  What am I doing wrong? 

It looks like Ford shutdown the lookup tool. You used to be able to get a copy of the original window sticker online from the VIN now it seems that only dealers can do that.

SpencerPJ said:
Gizmo100, that is a perfect example of my confusion.  Your link went to a nice truck, I look under the 'specs' and it is not for that specific truck.  Heck, it says max towing is 5000#  What am I doing wrong?

I found your confusion to be quite real....I've spent the last couple of hours trying to figure out what makes a good TV. Here's what I found on the Fords

1 You need to look for the 3.5 Eco Boost.
2 The 10 speed transmission seems to be part of the mix
3 You need to find one with the "Max tow Package"

I also ran my Vin number thought the site and got a Max towing of 7000# So I'm not quite sure what to make of that either.

In the pictures
Pic 1 is a sticker on the tow hitch placed there by Ford.
Pic 2 is the gross allowable wt of everything.

I'm not sure where I got the 10,500...I've slept since then

Attachments

• Tow cap sticker.jpg
    Tow cap sticker.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 29
  • GCW.jpg
    GCW.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 29
Thanks a lot.  I found this brochure for the 2018 year, https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2018 seems to be a great starting point.  Looks like most of what I am looking at will cover my requirements, I guess I will just have to email the Dealer when I find the right combination and the pictures show what I think I want.  I know many Ford guys have good opinions of the 3.5 Ecoboost, are there any negatives on the 5.0 V8.  I know the 3.5 specs are better, I'm just concerned in 8-10 years replacement cost of a turbo?  One more question, I've read that all the trucks have that 'die' feature at stop lights, engine turns off, restarts when time to go.  Is this true?

each truck starts out the same - same frame and engine combo - but then they change, every option that's added takes away from payload ie add a sunroof take off 250lbs add power seats take off 150 lbs etc etc

the only way to see what the actual payload is for the truck you want is too look at the yellow decal driver side door

as an example my payload on my 350 dually is 500lbs HIGHER the the same equiped 450 dually because of the rear end gearing 

SpencerPJ said:
Thanks a lot.  I found this brochure for the 2018 year, https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2018 seems to be a great starting point.  Looks like most of what I am looking at will cover my requirements, I guess I will just have to email the Dealer when I find the right combination and the pictures show what I think I want.  I know many Ford guys have good opinions of the 3.5 Ecoboost, are there any negatives on the 5.0 V8.  I know the 3.5 specs are better, I'm just concerned in 8-10 years replacement cost of a turbo?  One more question, I've read that all the trucks have that 'die' feature at stop lights, engine turns off, restarts when time to go.  Is this true?

While I would still favor the 3.5 over the 5.0, I understand your concerns about the turbos. For me the better MPG and performance when towing was my goal. With normal (City/Highway Mixed) everyday driving I have no problem getting well over 20 MPG. And on the highway @ 60 MPH I can pull 24+ MPG's.
As far as negatives  on the 5.0 I don't know of any in everyday use. My only concern might be if you are pulling in high altitudes then the turbos would serve you better. But I've no doubt it a fine engine and would fit your needs.

I can't speak for all the Ford trucks regarding the "Die" feature, Buy yes mine has it. At first it bothered me. But now if it doesn't "Die" I'm wondering why??  It's a running joke with my wife about how I get stopped by every red light. At least now I'm not burning gas. I do have a button on the dash that I can prevent it from shutting off the engine. But I've never used it.

Gizmo100 said:
I can't speak for all the Ford trucks regarding the "Die" feature, Buy yes mine has it. At first it bothered me. But now if it doesn't "Die" I'm wondering why??  It's a running joke with my wife about how I get stopped by every red light. At least now I'm not burning gas. I do have a button on the dash that I can prevent it from shutting off the engine. But I've never used it.

Is this feature disabled when you plug in your TT ?  I thought I read people plug something in and disables that auto 'die' feature.  I do seem to like the interior comforts the Ford has over Chevy.  I guess I just need to go drive a couple of each.  I've had my YukonXL 12 years, kinda wanting a change of scenery inside, lol.

SpencerPJ said:
Is this feature disabled when you plug in your TT ?  I thought I read people plug something in and disables that auto 'die' feature.  I do seem to like the interior comforts the Ford has over Chevy.  I guess I just need to go drive a couple of each.  I've had my YukonXL 12 years, kinda wanting a change of scenery inside, lol.

This may make me look like an Idiot...But so be it...Until you asked I never thought of it. But according to below information it is locked out if towing. There are other reason it will not stop the engine....AC/Heat needs...If the steering wheel is turned to much...and I'm sure there's others. Don't let it scare you I hardly ever notice the shut down andit does save a lot of gas when stuck at red lights.

How Start/Stop Technology Works
Start/Stop technology is as simple as it sounds. It is a system that works with the braking system to save the gasoline burned when the Ford F150 is sitting still in traffic. I have driven the current F150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 and Start/Stop, and it is a great system. When you come to a complete stop with the truck in drive and rear-drive mode, the engine quickly shuts itself off. As soon as you begin to lift your foot off of the brake pedal, the system detects it and starts the engine back up incredibly quickly. Really, as quickly as you can move your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal to drive away, the engine is back up and running ? ready to go. Since the engine is off in the same manner that it is off when parked in your driveway, the start time is significantly quicker than starting the truck up from being completely shut off.

The 2017 Ford F150 Start/Stop tech will be offered in all EcoBoost-equipped trucks, meaning that the 2.7L V6, the ?normal? 3.5L V6 and the high performance 3.5L V6 in the new Raptor will all feature this fuel-saving technology. For those who really don?t like it, there is a switch that allows you to disable the system altogether, but since there is really no downside to the system ? I wouldn?t see why any driver would really want to shut if off under normal driving circumstances.

Also, in more extreme driving situations ? such as towing, hauling or driving in four wheel drive ? the 2017 F150 will automatically disable the system.

Studies have shown that a tremendous amount of gasoline is wasted idling in traffic. When these vehicles are idling, they are not only wasting gas, but they are also contributing to the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Start/Stop technology cuts down on that negative impact as well, so it helps the environment and it will save owners money at the gas pump.

Auto News
Performance Vehicles
Pickup Trucks
Ford News and Reviews

Hybrids do something similar, the ICE only runs when needed. I'm still getting used to the ICE starting up in our Fusion. It catches me off guard most of the time. I have also driven a couple of vehicles with stop/start feature and unless you're really paying attention, you don't even notice it after the first few times.

The "auto start/stop" feature can be overridden.  It also will not function automatically if the A/C is on and the ambient outside temperature is above a certain threshold.

The Ford website should be your starting point.  You will want to become familiar with their towing and payload charts.  "How much can this tow" depends on sooooo much. 

One cannot have "too much" truck.  Start with knowing what you want to tow.  Then find a vehicle that will exceed that.

Have had 2 - F150 since 2012, but 5.0 quad cabs. Love the truck, but I wouldn't tow 10K + or even close.  I use air bags & anti sway hitch , my trailer loaded tops out around 8K. Pulls ok, but would be better w/ a 250 series. Unfortunately Ford seems to push higher towing on (IMO) underrated trucks

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/brochures/
put in your zipcode and you get the brochure with a few local dealer's listed on the 2nd page.
All the towing and payload specs are on pages 42, 43.

Reading through the specs for "supercrew" cab and 8' bed
3.5L turbo, 3.55 axle 4x2 you can achieve 13.2k tow rating with 2870 lb payload.
5L naturally aspirated, 3.73 axle, 4x4 you can achieve 11.5k tow with a 2710 lb payload
Plenty of videos out there comparing them.

Looks like any 3.5L or 5L would meet the criteria you stated.

I'll let others with more towing experience comment on the ratings.

2018 and beyond, everything except the 3.3L gets the 10 speed transmission.  The 2017 3.5 turbo came with the 10spd too.

I am currently leasing an F150 supercrew lariat with a 2.7L. My previous vehicle was an XLT supercrew 2.7L.  You can get heated seats in the xlt.  You can get both heated and cooled seats in the lariat and above.  I'll try out the cooling this summer, but the heat is nice on these winter mornings. 

vin decoder - i googled "ford window sticker by vin" and found https://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Ford.html  Can't vouch for it, but it's worth a try.

Auto start/stop. As others have stated, under some conditions it disables start/stop (before warmed up, hot days with AC running). There's also a button on the dash right above the radio to disable start/stop.  Doesn't bother me, but we also have a hybrid. The hybrid got me used to the engine shutting off at odd times.

In a couple of years when I quit the job I'll either get a 5L F150 or gas F250.  I don't expect to tow enough to justify the diesel, but I lean toward the "can't have too much truck" school.

By the way, hi everyone. I'm new here.

Welcome to the RV Forum Tim

Good information...Thanks

I have the 2017 XLT  3.5 turbo with the 10 speed and we just love it. The heated seats are sweet.

SpencerPJ said:
So, I'm considering upgrading my Yukon XL, and looking at Ford F150's.  Want a king cab, 4 full size doors.  I figured I would start my adventure looking at cars.com and sorting out options.  Well, the available sort is lame, and often the descriptions are as lame.  I don't have too high of demands, Tow 9000+ lbs, payload maybe 1800+.  Looking at something 1-2 years old, still with some warranty left, possible certified used warranty.  (I've owned my 05 Yukon XL since 07, I tend to keep them).

My question: Is there a Ford website that I can plug a vin# into and get the exact specifics to a particular truck?  I have found a few like this one https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php?vin=1FTEW1E58JFC64421 , but all the vins I plug in keep giving the same technical specs. 

Any recommendations from you Ford guys with newer F150s?  I wouldn't mind having more power than I need, and prefer to stay away from diesel.  moma wants heated seats so that instantly throws me into nicer packages  ;)

Honestly, best way to find the truck you want is to walk the dealer lot. Open the drivers door and see what that specific truck is rated to tow and carry. I have heated seats (driver and passenger) in my XLT. I went with a Supercab and XLT because I wanted hogher carrying capacity. Things like Crew Cab and 4x4 reduce carrying capacity drastically. Finding an Max Tow package option on the lot will be tough. Much easier to find a truck with trailering equipment package.

My 2016 F150 XLT Supercab with standard (6.5') bed, 4x2, 3.5L turbo, 3.55 with electronic locking rear axle, trailering package, chrome package, factory spray in bed liner, bed side steps, roll up tonnue cover, and cab steps is rated to tow 10,600 off the ball, and carrying capacity of 2078 pounds. With the truck loaded, gas, the misses, me, the dogs, 5th wheel hitch, and all the other mentioned items my curb weight is 5,400 pounds. Max capacity is 6,900 pounds. I have 1,500 pounds available carrying capacity. I seriously doubt you will get 1,800 pounds carrying capacity in a Crewcab 4x4 F150, off the lot. Every crewcab on my dealers lot had less actual carrying capacity then my truck. They had higher overall weight ratings (max capacity weight), however the crewcab, upscale trim packages, and 4x4 ate up all that weight.

I would avoid a Regular Cab all together, even with an 8' bed the wheel base is shorter than the Supercabs or Crewcab with 6.5' bed.

As for gas mileage, I get 17-18 in the winter around town, lots of ideling in the am to warm up. In the summer I average 19-20 around town. I get 24.2 on the interstate empty. I get 8-11 pulling my 7K pound 5th wheel and 2,300 pound boat (triple towing). Last weekend I made a trip to St. Louis, 400 miles round trip, and averaged 10.3mpg with just the 5th wheel. I averaged 11.4 on the way down, but hit an 8mph headwind on the way back. Maximum towing speed is 60mph for me. My gas mileage drops tremendously if I bump it up to 65mph, something like 6-8mpg. Even with the boat I average 8-11mpg at 60mph. When not towing I do the speedlimit. Towing just the boat I average 17-18mpg.

My overall impression of the F150, great truck. This coming from a man who only bought Chevy's for the last 30 years. 

Thanks.  GREAT advise everyone

Tim_T :  Thanks..  The vin decoder is a ad based mess.  Does not work.  I agree about the 3.5 and 5l, I'm skeptical about the reliability of the Turbos.  I once had a turbo car years ago, failed, cost be my left $%^& to fix.  I too am considering a F250 gasser.

HanR3:  I like hearing you like the Ford.  I come from a long GM background, and I'm just wanting a change of scenery.

Well, I have some great info, and I am only in the gathering stages.  I want to drive a couple Fords and Chevys.  I'm actually a month or two from getting serious, but being OCD, it will take me that long to figure out what I truly think I want.

I had a 2015 Super Duty with the 6.2 gasser. It performed very well for me. When I traded it in, the salesman that sold it to me ended up buying it. He pulls a fifth wheel with it, and loves it. Be aware that Ford is going to put a 7.3 gasser in the Super Duty as an option next year.

There are several videos on youtube about the 7.3L gas engine that kdbgoat mentioned.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FtNlfAbc2w

SpencerPJ said:

The struggle is real! I happen to be in the same "boat" as you as I have posted similar questions over the last few days. I am a little farther in the process than you. I will be purchasing a truck and trailer within the next 3-4 weeks. The truck I have in mind is also the F-150 3.5l Ecoboost. I'll keep everyone posted on the specs as well as the trailer that I end up going with.

Like you, my wife would like the heated seats. Living in Northern ID, it definitely is a nice "extra". Having a family of 5 is making things a little challenging though. Balancing budget, power and weight limit of truck, size, sleeping capacity and length of the trailer. It's all very daunting but I'm also OCD and am determined to do it right... the first time. I'll keep my journey posted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom