specs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janpaul

I can not seem to find some specs on my truck, 2005 Chevy 2500 HD Shortbed Ext Cab 4wd Duramax/Allison 3.73 rear. Some websites have conflicting numbers, (which is right?) and all of the specs do not seem to be in my owners manual. I can't find the stock weight of it, or the allowable pin weight for a 5er,and 5er tow capacity is not in manual...at least I can not find it. Any helpful links or info is appreciated. Thanks, Paul 

The standard general reference is Trailer Lifes Magazine's tables.  Click HERE.

The other source is your owners manual or a GMC website -- if you can find one that has towing information,

The maximum pin weight can be found on your DOT plate.  It is the gross axle weight rating of your rear axle less the actual unladen load on it. 

Is DOT plate the one with tire and loding info on it? What items would be subtracted for the rear axle? The hitch I would assume is one, I also have an aux tolbox/tank combo but it does not sit over the axle, would that weight be subtracted?

I found in my manual, fifth wheel weight should be 15 to 25 percent of trailer weight up to 3000#. Does anything get subtracted from the 3000#?

janpaul said:
Is DOT plate the one with tire and loding info on it? What items would be subtracted for the rear axle? The hitch I would assume is one, I also have an aux tolbox/tank combo but it does not sit over the axle, would that weight be subtracted?

Yup it is the plate.  Just weigh the rear axle on a scale and subtract that weight from the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) on the plate.  Weigh the truck with a full tank and a ready to travel load.  Subtract the rear axle weight from the GAWR and that is your max pin weight.

janpaul said:
I can not seem to find some specs on my truck, 2005 Chevy 2500 HD Shortbed Ext Cab 4wd Duramax/Allison 3.73 rear. Some websites have conflicting numbers, (which is right?) and all of the specs do not seem to be in my owners manual. I can't find the stock weight of it, or the allowable pin weight for a 5er,and 5er tow capacity is not in manual...at least I can not find it. Any helpful links or info is appreciated. Thanks, Paul 

The GMC sdtye lists for the 06 the following:
    GVW  9,200#
    Curb weight 5848#
    Payload 3352#
    Trailer max (5er) 15700#

You need to get the weight of the truck ready to roll that is full tank wife dogs self and hitch, I think you will find that the curb weight has changed to about 7,000# for a short bed DuraMax. The truck is 9,200# GVW so 9200# less ~7,000# is 2,200#. That 2,200# is the max that a loaded trailer can drop on the truck, not the empty pin weight  from the trailer spec sheet. Assume a 15% pin would result in a loaded trailer of ~14600. At 20% pin the trailer would max at 11,000#.

Hope the simple math example helps.

Nelson

Thanks for all the helpful info. It is really nice to have found a resource like this when all these things are new to me. Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom