Speedometer cable housing for 1977 motorhome, Dodge, Diplomat II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

golftrip

Hello, I am having speedometer issues!  Currently my speedor is NOT working.  The housing that attaches the cable to the speedo is broken, and I have been looking a long time for a solution.  I doubt I can find a replacement, I wish I could go that way though.  Is there any other possible way to install a speedometer in my dodge?  THANKS FOR ANY HELP..

Hi----
Don't know about now, but long time ago you could get one made, especially if you have the remains of the old one. Wasn't an expensive proposition either. Would think that we are not so far into electronics that all the mechanical wizards have all disappeared.
Regards from Memphis

golftrip said:
Hello, I am having speedometer issues!  Currently my speedor is NOT working.  The housing that attaches the cable to the speedo is broken, and I have been looking a long time for a solution.  I doubt I can find a replacement, I wish I could go that way though.  Is there any other possible way to install a speedometer in my dodge?  THANKS FOR ANY HELP..

Might be easier and cheaper to use a GPS instead. That way you would have an accurate speed but you would not have a vehicle odometer. My handheld Magellan has both a speedometer and an odometer.

That sounds interesting...I will have to check them out, thanks for the tip.

I seriously doubt I could find someone to make one.

At that time alot of car and truck parts were also used in RVs.  Have you tried visiting various junk yards for a similar part and swapping out the part in yours that is broken?  Also if you search the web you will find several places that will repair and refurbish old speedometers.  Thou that will be the costly route.

Robert Flight
Rochester, NY

It is very possible the speedometer cable and housing is the same as was used on any other Dodge Chassis of similar size that year. Determine what year and model the Dodge Chassis is and then look for a cable & housing at the autoparts store, JC Whitney's, and/or junk yards.

Thanks for that suggestion.  I will try and determine the chassis and go from there, look in JC Whitney, and such. 

Ron said:
It is very possible the speedometer cable and housing is the same as was used on any other Dodge Chassis of similar size that year. Determine what year and model the Dodge Chassis is and then look for a cable & housing at the autoparts store, JC Whitney's, and/or junk yards.

Good news, I found the previous owner, and he still had the old cable and housing.  He was using it to clean out his shop vac hose when it plugged up.  He just gave me the cable and housing, nice guy!  No i just have to find a way to attach it, but I don't think that will be a problem..

Back
Top Bottom