Sportcoach Encore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesnaddie

I'm going to be a first time motor home buyer.  The local dealer around here only carries the Sportcoach line aqnd I'm looking at a 2006 Sportcoach Encore.  It seems to be a lot of coach for the money.  I'm a power freak myself so the 330HP Cat while may be enough I'm not sure.  What can anyone outr there tell me about this company and their coaches?  At some time I do intend on towing either a vehicle or motorcycle trailer...maybe a trailer with both a car and a couple of full size motorcycles.  I'm not adverse to spendind more money but I like the idea of buying local so the choices are slim.

I have thought seriously about the Sportscoach on a few occasions.  The only reason I didn't buy, is I can't justify spending the $ for no more a\than I use a unit.  I've traveled what I figure to be extensive for 98 model MH and still have less that 30000miles on it.    I feel it's a fine unit and you should have no troubles pulling what you intend with the 330.  Many are pulling at least that much are more with less. But if you have doubts, Gary, Carl, Karl<  Ned and perhaps a few more of the gents that can do the facts for you will join in real soon. 
Good luck with the unit

I answered my own question by going for a test ride.  The Encore is underpowered and this one pulled to the right.  When I said I'd want to test drive it again after they got the front end fixed I was told that "the deal" wouldn't last long enough to get it fixed so I'd have to sign and then get it fixed.  I really need to work on not looking like an idiot.  I think I'll lok elsewhere.  Driving a ways to a dealer doesn't sound so bad now.

If they wouldn't correct the problem, they probably aren't a very reputible dealer anyway.  A 330HP shouldn't feel underpowered.  That being said, it's not going to perform like a jack rabbit either.  I'd have walked too.

According to the RVCG the Sportcoaches tend to have a 2.5 star rating which is in the middle and with handling just inside their acceptable level.? The Dealer's response and hype would have turned me off immediately.? A major investment like this should be approached with caution and high pressure has no place in the transaction.  Some of the Pro's on this forum can give you more precise info but I sure would not feel safe with that dealer.

Is this a gas model?  My 330 diesel feels great and I just got back from lake city Colorado fully loaded to the hilt and it did great on the hills.  No complaints on power here.  Torque out the wazoo and got around 8 mpg on average.  Our average speed was around 65 mph not counting all the switch backs.

The most impressive thing was not the power though, it was the exhaust brake and the air brakes.  My buddy boiled his brake fluid even in low gear and staying off of them on the very long down hill section going into Lake city.  My Coach at probably 35K pounds did fantastic.  I love this Newmar.

You are doing the right thing by being picky.  There are too many out there to choose from to settle.  Keep testing until you find the right coach.

Good luck.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom