Sportscoach Cross Country 376DS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pilot

Hello everyone. My name is Amy. My husband's name is Blake. I tried saying Hello in the Introductions Thread (I think) but no replies. What am I doing or saying wrong! :'( :'( :'(

Anyway, I'll try to ask my question here. Does anyone here have feedback on the Sportscoach motorhomes? We are in the very early stages of starting to downsize and become full-time RVers. We have been looking into motorhomes and the lifestyle for a couple of years now. We have a line on a new Sportscoach. Hubby's been in it - luvs it. I was hoping someone here has one or knows something about them. Are they a decent buy?
What is their reputation?

We currently live in Prince Rupert, BC. This is a great place to visit. Come on up and show us what you got! ;D We are lookie-loos, but we are serious lookie-loos. Probably within 2 years we'll be ensconced quite nicely in our land yacht!

Take care and happy Rving everyone!

Amy
email: [email protected]

Hi Amy

Welcome and happy hunting for the perfect land yacht.  We will be in that area before or by the middle of August so will keep in touch.

Hi Amy,
I don't have any experience with the Sportscoach and I cannot offhand think of any member who has one or had one in the past.  It's a Coachman brand and most fulltimers are not high on Coachman products because Coachman brands have mostly been entry level RVs, not durable enough for fulltime use.  I don't know if that generality applies to the Sportscoach line or not.  When I look at a Sportscoach, though, they sure look pretty inside & out!  I can readily see why you would fall in love with one!

I see the 376DS is a fllor plan of the Cross Country SE.  Look closely at fit and finish and the quality of the cabinetry and furniture. Make sure you are getting solid goods and not just glitter.

Usually we caution new Rvers, especiallynew fulltimers,  against buying a new coach. The problem is that there are man, many tradeoffs in Rv floor plans and amenities and you don't know what your priorities will be until you have spent some time RVing. But if you buy a new coach, you are usually "married" to it for at least 4 years (and often much more) because the huge depreciation that occurs as soon as you sign the paperwork.  You would be unable to trade because you made the wrong decision on layout, size, chassis, or dozens of other things.  Think about it - there are literally thousands on late model, low mileage, top quality RVs for sale all the time. Start out with one of them and then trade for the coach of your dreams.

Thank you for the replies, folks.

Lorna, yes it would be great if you can contact us when you get up here! Hope you have a great trip.

And thanks RV Roamer for your post. Lots to think about. I know Blake looks at finish stuff. He said everything was solid wood. He looks for stuff like that. He also said he was impressed that the chassis was Freightliner. Is that a good thing generally?

We have looked at lots of used only through the internet or magazines. We are not living near an urban center (so we can't readily go see many in person). The price on this new DP is $175,000.00 CDN. We are kinda impressed with that price for a brand new model. Hubby was in Prince George (where this one was located) last week so he had a good long look at this one.

Also, there is a 2006 gas Georgetown by Forest River 37 that we were told we could get for $90,000 CDN. It's brand new as well.

At this point we have mostly made up our mind to go diesel. But ???

Again, thanks for the replies.

Pilot:
    Follow this thread and jog our memory when we cross back into Canada. We will be comming down the Cassiar  and I would relish an extra reason to visit Prince Rupert.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=5320.from1152201862

Pilot  I've ben looking at the Sportscoach for about 3 years now.  Have 3 friends that have them and they all love um.  Even tho 2 are underpowered with the small engines they are satisfied.  I would want at least a 330HP in one on the size you are looking at  and a 350HP on the 40'.  Wouldn't even consider the Georgetown in comparison..  The furniture in the Sports is top notch.  Good luck 

Make sure the salesman shows you how the coach is serviced. The last Sportscoach made by Coachmen that I saw had no servicable parts of the engine accessible that I could find. Coachmen does have a poor reputation for quality.

Freightliner makes a good Rv chassis but the Sportscoach is hardly unique in using them. There are perhaps more Class A diesels on Freightliners than any other chassis brand, but Spartan is every bit as good. Some motorhome companies have their own in-house chassis division, e.g. Monaco/Holiday/Beaver/Safair uses the Monaco Roadmaster chassis and country Coach builds their own as well.  Both are excellent.  In short, Freightliner is fine, but not a reason to selct a Sportscoach over some other brand. Just about all of them offer the same engines choices (Cummins or Cat) and use the same transmission (Allison 6 speed auto).

I'd pick the Sportscoach over the Georgetown hands down, but the price difference is a factor. The Georgetown is a bargain because is is made more cheaply. Whether it is sufficient for your needs only you can decide.  It should be satisfactory for weekends and vacation but is not in the same class of amenties as the Sportscoach.

Well stated Gary..  If it's any consolation, we had a 93 Coachman, 34MB,  Loved it,  and put 72,000 miles on it with little to no troubles.  The people that have it now, 2 owners since us, have 118K in it.  They love it.  Who Knows when and how they will peform.

I know that this is an old post but wanted to put in my $.02.

I recently purchased a 2005 Sportscoach Cross Country SE 376DS. This coach, while a 2005, had never been titled and had 2700 miles on it. We LOVE it. There is a dealer in Alvarado Texas that has some 2006 models for less than $120,000. I paid $105,000 for my 2005. Yes it is an entry level pusher but I don't have the $$ to spend > $150,000.00 for a 5 - 6  year old "full-timer" model. As a diesel pusher, it has the 300hp Cummins and it has plenty of power for us. We tow a 15" enclosed trailer with band equipment. Of course if you have a 300 you want a 330. if you have a 330 you want a 350. There never seems to be enough power.

The best thing about the 376DS is that it has the self contained bathroom.

it's true that the engine is difficult to get to. in my instance, I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer and will take it to the shop if needed.

Hope that helps. Email me if you would like a pic.

Back
Top Bottom