Spouse needs help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sondis

My husband was recently diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia. It is early stages of the disease which means we should be able to travel for quite some time.  So,,,,here is where I need help.  We need to replace the tires on our 2014 Keystone Passport 23rb TT.  I want to be sure we are purchasing tires that are going to last us longer than the ones we have now.  Safety is a great concern.  Thanks so much for your help.  No doubt I will be back for more help.

One tire has a bald spot on it about 2 inches wide others are beginning to look rather worn. We have a long trip planned across SD which can be a long way between towns should we have tire trouble. I just need the reassurance that our tires are in good shape. 

I have two neighbors with triple axle fifth wheels and they both swear by Maxxis trailer tires.

I think you are smart putting new tires on.

Bought a new trailer several years ago and six months later two tires blew out at the same time in the middle of Nevada.  100 degrees, great fun.

I replaced mine with the Goodyear Endurance tires. Saved quite a bit buying direct online through Goodyear.

Maxxis brand ST (Special Trailer) tires are highly regarded, and reports on the new-ish Goodyear Endurance are good too. However, the main thing is to get tires of ad adequate size and load rating for your trailer.  Mot trailers come from the factory with barely adequate tires, so it's often a good idea to upgrade when replacing.  You didn't mention the tire size you now hve, or its max load rating (shown on the sidewall), so we cannot make suggestions. I think an ST205/75R14 In Load Range C  is commonly used on the smaller Passports, but please check and let us know. Also need to know the trailer GVWR in order to assess the tire capacity vs trailer weight.

A 2014 Trailer and the tires already have bald spots...

I'd be investigating why. Now it may be cheap tires. or grabby brakes or _______ (many things) but a 4 year old TRAILER tire should NOT be wore out.

A 2014 trailer will probably have tires with a date code of 2013 , so they're probably 5 years old now. Time for replacement anyway on an ST tire.

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Methinks you'll be learning a great deal about RVs as you gradually take over some of the things your husband has been doing.  You've come to the right place for down-to-earth help!  Although I know zero about trailers I do know that tires are one of the most important factors in any RV so, with a 2014 trailer and tires that probably were at least a year old when installed, it's probably wise to change them before your next trip.  You've received good advice and it will get better as the experts learn more about your rig, its various weight ratings and its tires.  Good luck with this next phase of your life.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Welcome to the RV Forum.  Methinks you'll be learning a great deal about RVs as you gradually take over some of the things your husband has been doing.  You've come to the right place for down-to-earth help!  Although I know zero about trailers I do know that tires are one of the most important factors in any RV so, with a 2014 trailer and tires that probably were at least a year old when installed, it's probably wise to change them before your next trip.  You've received good advice and it will get better as the experts learn more about your rig, its various weight ratings and its tires.  Good luck with this next phase of your life.

ArdraF
Welcome to the Forum! I heartily agree with Ardra.  Please provide tire size and trailer GVWR so we can give more specific advise.

Is there a possibility of axle having a bad alignment, causing uneven tire wear in this case?

For your camper, the MINIMUM tire load capacity is 1525#.  This is 6800GVWR minus 700# carried by the tongue = 6100 divided by 4 tires = 1525# on each tire.

Here is a link to Goodyear Endurance 225/75R 15 E  with plenty of capacity (2800#) for your TT.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/endurance?addr=1845+Olivet+Church+Rd%2C+Paducah%2C+KY+42001%2C+USA&zip=42001&lat=37.0497963&lng=-88.71085629999999&cta=undefined

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered helpful suggestions.  I have 4 new Goodyear Endurance tires ordered and they should be in next week. It is going to feel so good to get new tires.  One less concern.  I found great arrival and departure checklists on this site that I have modified printed out and laminated for us to refer to if DH forgets some things that would normally have been effortless for him to remember. I appreciate your assistance more than I can express.   

Sondis said:
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered helpful suggestions.  I have 4 new Goodyear Endurance tires ordered and they should be in next week. It is going to feel so good to get new tires.  One less concern.  I found great arrival and departure checklists on this site that I have modified printed out and laminated for us to refer to if DH forgets some things that would normally have been effortless for him to remember. I appreciate your assistance more than I can express. 
That is why we are here  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom