Spray lining on tow vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmcisaac

I will be purchasing a new truck once I decide on the fifth wheel trailer I will be purchasing.  I want to have the truck bed spray lined with Line-X.  Do I get the bed spray lined BEFORE I have the Reese hitch installed or do I have the hitch installed first?  It may not be an issue since I plan on using the Reese Signature series where the rails will be under the truck bed.  However, if there is some reason why I should not have it done until after the hitch is installed I would rather find out now and not when it is too late.

The Line-X dealer that I had mine done at said that they *prefer* to spray before the hitch is in. It is just a lot easier. If you put a saddle box in (toolbox that sits on the rails), remove it as well. I had the tailgate sprayed and they sprayed over the top of it as well (I can send a pic if you want). That way I didn't need a rail protector for the tailgate. I put Dee-Zee rail protectors on the left and right sides before I had it sprayed. The preferred this since sometimes the rail protectors don't go on properly after Line-X is sprayed.

Wuz just looking thru my hitch manual over the weekend. It specifically mentions that a hitch can be installed over spray-in linings, but in my case, I had a drop in liner (OEM). They had to cut slits for the bars so they could be mounted directly to the bed. It has to do with whether or not the material the bars are mounted over will or will not compress (spray-in - no, drop-in big-time yes).

Larry

Larry and David,

Thank you for your replies.  I currently have my existing pickup (not a towing vehicle) spray lined with Line-X and the lining has fared very well for six years.  I will be having my new pickup (tow vehicle) spray lined also.  I had planned on having it sprayed before I had the hitch installed so I just wanted to make sure that dooing the lining first will not cause a problem when they install the hitch.  I have never had fifth wheel hitch installed before.

Ken

When we towed a fifth wheel I had Line-X sprayed in before the hitch was installed. Works fine and I heartily endorse the Line-X product (when properly prepped and installed).

My hitch is "easily" removeable by pulling the pins (if you have a forklift handy).

Mine was done after the hitch was installed.

A mistake I make.  I decided not to have  the top edge of the bed sprayed.  That way when I hit a pot hole or ditch, the 5er can hit the paint and dent the metal.  The liner material would probably be a little more forgiving.

Joel

I had my Rhino liner sprayed in before I installed the hitch.  I installed my RBK Universal 5th wheel hitch myself and drilled right through the Rhino liner.  It gummed up the drill bit somewhat but still worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom