spreadsheet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickf

Hi,
buying a new PC and don't want to spring for microsoft office.
can anyone recommend a freeware spreadsheet product?
thanks

I have been using Google Docs for spreadsheets for years. Works perfectly for me, it is free and it everything is stored online. It is now called Google Drive.

Another vote for the free LibreOffice and its open source predecessor OpenOffice. Like Richard, I appreciate the ability to read/write from/to numerous different formats, including MS Office.

Years ago I bought Office 97 using an educators discount - and since brought it forward to 7 or 8 new computers. It is currently on my Acer 64 bit laptop, Acer 64 bit desktop, Acer Netbook, and an older desktop that I built years ago and keep around for customers that are still using XP. Unless someone lives in the world of  heavy usage of Office, the older versions seem to satisfy nicely.

It works very nicely for my Spreadsheet or Wordprocessing stuff. I used to teach Access, but have been away from that for awhile. Whatever I do in Word or Excel I find compatible with the 3rd party packages that came with my Samsung smartphone, so am able to move stuff back and forth.

Anyway, you can find copies of 97 on eBay for between 7 to $20 bucks so that might be an alternative. That would also give you the upgrade pricing if you decide to to go to a later version.

I "did" upgrade my Outlook to 2010. The upgrades to that product are nice - however, the only reason I did that was because my 2003 version choked on Win7 64-bit.

You can even get Office 2003 on ebay for around $20-$25. I like the real Office only because documents are a bit more compatible and instructions and add-ons always seem to work with it, whereas they may or may not with Open Office. Not a big deal, though.

Thanks, I'll take a look.  I have a version from 2002, and it works thru
XP and vista,  I think its not compatible with 7.
Rick

rickf said:
Thanks, I'll take a look.  I have a version from 2002, and it works thru
XP and vista,  I think its not compatible with 7.
Rick
I have Office 2000 and it worked fine on Win 7 64 bit, although I have upgraded to 2010 since I got an offer I couldn't refuse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom