Squirrels and a Woodpecker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

Was in a grove of oaks today with my 100-400m and got a few squirrels gathering i believe acorns. Then a beautiful woodpecker that I will have to wait for TomS to identify for me. Shots were from around 25 to 30 yards.

HERE is the link to the album to view individually - or just click the slideshow button. Either way, viewing is always better by clicking F11 for full screen.

Thanks for viewing . . .  :)

Those are great shots, Bob! I love squirrel photos! That was fun! Thanks!

-Roni

Jim is correct, it is a Northern Flicker. The NF is probably the most common woodpecker in all of North America. They cover the entire area. They are larger and noisier than most woodpeckers so they are very common. They are also IMHO the most beautiful of all the woodpeckers, especially in flight. The underside of the wings is a beautiful copper color. If you every see one in flight from underneath you will instantly know it is an NF.

I really love the SIF shot. Especially since the flying squirrel is not a Flying Squirrel. Did you name the little guy Rocky?

Thank you all for the comments and feedback!! I appreciate that . . .  :)

And thank you Jim and TomS -- I had done a Google of woodpeckers and didn't see any that resembled the one in my shot. Have looked further now w/the info you gave me and have determined that it is a male, red shafted, Yellow-Hammer NF. It is also the state bird of Alabama. And yes, Tom, Googling this bird shows the yellowish gold underside of the wings and tail. Wow!! I see what you mean, Tom, from THIS NG article.

Very nice, Bob.  Squirrels are so cute ... except when they're eating the seed we put out for the birds!  :mad:

Margi

Bob Buchanan said:
Wow!! I see what you mean, Tom, from THIS NG article.

The photo of the NF in that article is the east coast version of the NF. The undersides of the wings are a rich yellow color. The western version is a very rich copper color under the wings. It almost looks golden. Once you have seen one in flight you will never forget it.

SeilerBird said:
Once you have seen one in flight you will never forget it.

And once you have heard one during mating season, you will never forget it.  They "drum".  Rata tat tat tat tat tat tat, preferably on anything metal.  Like the vent above our bed in the Redding stick house at 4:00 in the morning.  Here in Oregon they were kinder.  Chose the vent in our nearby storage shed.

But, they definitely ARE beautiful, especially as Tom says, in flight.

Margi

I know I am late to this party but just wanted to post my image taken last week.  I only captured the female but both male and female were visiting the feeder.  They could go through a suet block in just two days. As for the mating...around here they sit on the metal-headed street lights and drum away.  Man, you can hear them for blocks.

Because we had so much snow on the ground a few weeks ago, we had ducks visiting the feeder area twice a day.  It started with a single male, then a pair (drake and hen) then two pair.  For about a week I had to shake the seed feeders sideways to dump seeds on the ground for the ducks. This is strange because I have a small yard right in the middle of town and there is a large tree at one end of the garden.  They just swoop in a land right next to the back stairway under the feeders.  This guy in the album was by himself late in the day and he caught me sneeking up on him and left.  The few shots I did get were in the air against the dull sky.

Just one other note.  About two years ago we had one pair of Pileated Woodpeckers (about the size of a crow) nesting on our golf course.  The golfers didn't seem to bother them and we got several good looks at them right beside the 3rd teeoff, in a tree there.  Sadly, I didn't see them at all last year, and don't know what happened to them.  They are a magnificent bird..(I think Tom has one on his SeilerBird site.)

Sorry, I forgot to post the link.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103348086989089058897/GordN?authkey=Gv1sRgCMmc1pah3uXHWQ

Obviously, I'm quite new to this and just created the album today.

The subject line reminded me of the answer to a Johnny Carson Karnac question ... "and the answer is ... 'squirrels and a woodpecker.' " Wonder what the question is :)

Regardless, nice pics Bob.

Wendy
Looney in Laughlin

Wendy said:
The subject line reminded me of the answer to a Johnny Carson Karnac question ... "and the answer is ... 'squirrels and a woodpecker.' " Wonder what the question is :)
So far the only question I can come up with can't be used on a family website. :-[

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom