Stabilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CircleGrammy

I have a 38’ 5th wheel with 3 slides. I realized after having to temporarily remove the kingpin tripod stabilizer that it wasn’t doing much anyway but now I’m looking for slide stabilizers. All someone has to do is sit down on the couch and the whole rig shakes. Any recommendations?

What would concern me about putting stabilizers under the slides is the effect that it would have if the trailer should settle or shift positions at all as that could put upward pressure on the slides.

Going to need to agree here with Kirk. If "the whole rig shakes" you should better stabilize the rig, not the slide. If the rig is solid but the slide shakes excessively when someone sits in it, get the slide mechanism checked out for excess play/wear.

I have a 38’ 5th wheel with 3 slides. I realized after having to temporarily remove the kingpin tripod stabilizer that it wasn’t doing much anyway but now I’m looking for slide stabilizers. All someone has to do is sit down on the couch and the whole rig shakes. Any recommendations?
I have seen an RV where the owner used slide out stabilizers.
(It was not pretty) (Or if you like Major damage)
The primary stabilizers sank or failed. and Major mess

Even with nothing going wrong slide supports can do damage. You drive for four or six hours to your campsite and set up and put your slide supports out. Within an hour or two your tires cool to ambient and now you have upward pressure on the slide. Just ask people with x chocks or something similar and they will tell you that they need to be snugged up again after a while.
Slide supports are only good for making the mfr. richer. The old "tip outs" would not be damaged by them and typically benefitted from the added support. Modern slides do not like them.

Methods to stabilize a trailer (use some or all):
  • Put X-chocks between the tandem wheels to stop suspension/wheel rocking
  • Place simple jack stands under the frame at the four corners and near the axles. Put pads under the jacks so they don't sink into the ground.
  • Look at the several YouTube videos for suggestions on stabilizer gadgets. One of them may be helpful for your particular problem.
  • Re-install the king pin jack (but the other items often make it unnecessary)

Are your rig stabilizers SNUG with the ground? If they are working correctly it should stabilize the entire unit.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I’m on really hard packed ground so I’m not too concerned about settling or shifting and as far as I know the rig stabilizers are snug to the ground. I don’t think I need the slide mechanism checked as the rig doesn’t shake excessively. Sorry for leading everyone to think that. I know when someone flops on the bed or sits down hard on the couch. It’s noticeable and annoying and because my last RV was rock solid I want the same now. Since I was last here I’ve heard about JT Strong Arms and the Steady Fast System which I think are the same or close. So now my question is, would either of these be your recommendation and, if so, any certain brand/model in particular? And, even though most seemed to be opposed to slide stabilizers, Will the other system work without them? I’ve seen where they were used alone or together.

I have the Steady Fast system and really like it. With this system there are less joints in the mechanism so it’s more stable. I can set mine up in about 30 seconds. With the JTString Arm, you have to go around tightening several “T” set screws. These screws are pointed on the ends that dig into the pipes and after several tightening’s, these points wear out and get blunt on the tips allowing the linkage to collapse.

When I was doing my research as to which one to buy, I met a guy that had the JT Strong Arm. I asked him how they worked and he said it was better than nothing. After hearing that comment, I went with the Steady Fast system and glad I did.

Thank you Rene. Six display when I go to Amazon. They’re all priced about the same. Is the only difference with or without auto leveling? Does the size of the rig matter at all? Do you have slide stabilizers as well?

Back
Top Bottom