Stairs make grinding noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samilla

My Bounder 95 stairs have been fine for 6 years. Then one day when auto out I heard a grinding noise. The stairs still work, but I’m wondering if it needs a new gear. Motor runs fine.
I had a RV tech take a look, said I needed all new, to the tune of over 5 k!!
Is there a less expensive way to repair noise?
Thank you.

Stairs that old will most likely need more than a drive gear. The moving assembly and each joint (9-10 joints) most certainly have worn out and will need replacement parts.

5k is awfully high and could very possibly exceed the value of the 95. I would also suggest to get a second estimate and I would not be surprised to find it considerably less.

Best approach is to find someone that can fix the current steps. There are rebuild kits available but it will not always solve the problem. Someone with experience rebuilding steps is a good choice. I personally have rebuilt 2 units both made by Lippert. The rebuild kit for the joints was about $100 but I did not wind up using it. I put together my own kit for much less but money was second to the fact that I was much more satisfied with my own kit.

Stairs that old will most likely need more than a drive gear. The moving assembly and each joint (9-10 joints) most certainly have worn out and will need replacement parts.

5k is awfully high and could very possibly exceed the value of the 95. I would also suggest to get a second estimate and I would not be surprised to find it considerably less.

Best approach is to find someone that can fix the current steps. There are rebuild kits available but it will not always solve the problem. Someone with experience rebuilding steps is a good choice. I personally have rebuilt 2 units both made by Lippert. The rebuild kit for the joints was about $100 but I did not wind up using it. I put together my own kit for much less but money was second to the fact that I was much more satisfied with my own kit.
Thank you so much for your response. There is hope yet, as I could not afford or even consider such an exorbitant price.
I wish I could do it myself.
Sincerely, P

Go buy a spray can of dry lube. Go outside and look. Everyplace that looks like it should move spray it this ain't rocket science. It only takes a few minutes to do. Once done cycle the steps. Look for gears and spray them too

No, I wish I was able.

You are. ;) Donn described it well... spray anyplace on the steps and linkage (the metal pieces that hold the steps together) where two metal parts move against one another.

As far as motor internal parts, yes they do wear out after awhile and the motor might eventually need to be replaced. Was the RV tech from a dealership or garage? Or someone that does mobile work and came out to take a look? $5k seems like a completely unrealistic estimate, which is why I ask. Heck you can almost buy a new RV for that price! (haha)

Quick Amazon search showed replacement RV step motors for under $100, for instance. Or complete conversion kits with extra parts/hardware/wiring in the $300 range. (If you even needed that, which you may not.)

Thank you, I have done the research. Which is why I put the question to this forum.
appreciate your input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom