Stan Getz Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Today I was talking with a forum member who's a Stan Getz fan. It's been a number of years since someone gave me a Stan Getz CD. I loved the music, and followed his music for several years. When I searched on Stan Getz today it was sad to read that he passed away in 1991. A wonderful musician with his own style of jazz.

I, too, love Stan Getz. I have a Laserdisc on which his concert takes up a whole side. Good stuff. Richie Cole, on the other side, is good, too, but Stan is better (IMO).

I am really not a huge fan of jazz, particularly the freestyle stuff, but he sounds good. My brother in law spent a bit of time living in Perpignan France and introduced me to this group who play locally in town, I really enjoy their music.

In 1964 Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto had the big smash hit with The Girl From Ipanema in 1964. It got to number 5 on the Billboard Hot 100. It would probably have made number one except that the charts were clogged up with hits by the Beatles. In fact it was the Song of the Year at the Grammies There really was a girl from Ipanema that really did walk down Ipanema Beach every day. Lots of cool facts about this song:

Love Stan Getz's tone and mellow sensibility. He's worked with so many greats like Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans, Lionel Hampton and he brought Bossa Nova to Americans with Gilberto and Jobim. He never plays frenetic stuff that becomes overbearing.

I love playing the guitar. I still remember my first guitar, which was given to me by my parents when I was 13. My very very good guitarist, he taught me how to play the guitar. He was particularly good at playing jazz on the guitar.

Back
Top Bottom