Stapler for wood trim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Lots of trim work is done with staples in RVs (at least the ones I've had) and while I'm not a fan, there are times I'd like to be able to replicate the technique to reattach a trim board, etc. I thought this was something I could pickup at Lowe's but apparently not - everything they have shoots T50 staples, way bigger than what I'm looking for.

The staples I'm talking about are about 3/16" across and 1/2" long. I'd like to find either a battery or plug-in electric staple gun that can shoot those, but don't know how to search for it as I don't know the size designation of those staples.

Gizmo100

Something like this.....

https://www.amazon.com/Roberts-10-600-120-Volt-Professional-Electric/dp/B000M34S08/ref=pd_bxgy_469_img_2/151-6497727-8016108?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000M34S08&pd_rd_r=ed28ce43-4f6b-11e9-8a68-8de78faf44ad&pd_rd_w=jmI9C&pd_rd_wg=GRpwX&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=1Q2GC3E7Q4SEQ8NYF56G&psc=1&refRID=1Q2GC3E7Q4SEQ8NYF56G

Back2PA

I'd say almost exactly like that, thanks. So they're called "3/16 inch crown staples", now I know  :))

RVRAC

I don't know any that electric stapler that has enough power for some woods.  I have two of them but they are air-powered. They work well.

Tom

Administrator
Chris uses a variety of staplers in her yacht/home remodeling business, for attaching fabrics and re-attaching wood. (We use staples and nails/brads in the staplers.) Like RVRAC we find air staplers to be far superior & consistent. Another consideration for electric staplers is that they're heavy, especially the battery operated ones, and I get really tired when stapling/nailing overhead. The air staplers win hands down in these situations.

Arch Hoagland

Scott...do you have an air compressor? 

Last year I took on the task of rebuilding five 8' benches used by my daughter's roller derby team.  Soon discovered an electric stapler wasn't worth a hoot and invested in an air gun stapler.  Harbor Freight has a good selection of staplers. 

Took a while to figure out what pressure to use but after that it was great. New padding and vinyl fabric made them look like new.

Corky

I just purchased a 18ga 18volt Ryobi staple gun and am very pleased with it's performance.
I just finished a 48 drawer apothecary cabinet and it set every staple below the surface. I bought the Ryobi at Home Depot but since I have found a site that has new, preowned and refurbished units all at good prices.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/ryobi-18-volt-one-18-gauge-cordless-crown-stapler

I couldn't be happier with this stapler.

Back2PA

The compressor I carry with me is this one. It seems like a pneumatic stapler would be very low air use for non-rapid stapling - will this compressor work?

Back2PA

ChasA said:
I would think you'd need a compressor with a tank.

Ya I kinda figured. That's why I was thinking electric. Perhaps if I could find a 1 gallon tank

ClassyC

Yeah air is the way to go.  Harbor freight has a nailer / stapler combo for 22.99, even cheaper if you have a 20% off coupon.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/nailers-staplers/18-gauge-2-in-1-air-nailerstapler-68019.html

Lowes, HD and HF all have a small airless compressor for about $65 which would run that gun.

SpencerPJ

ChasA said:
I would think you'd need a compressor with a tank.

Actually, not 100% true.  You will only be able to shoot on staple or brad nail every 5 seconds or so.  I have a small little guy like yours and used it for a small little project once.  I now have a larger one, but you can get by with your little guy, just takes a few seconds to re-pressurize.  My stapler / trim gun is a Bosch.  Be careful with that particular HF gun, if I recall it has a quirky staple or nail size, and they don't offer quite the assortment as say Bosch, or Dewault etc.  Just investigate  :))

Arch Hoagland

I don't know if you could use that compressor you already have.

I found it was important to be able to adjust the pressure fairly accurately to prevent too much pressure from blowing the staple deep into the wood.

I have a pancake compressor I use for my coach as I've got 22.5" tires and a smaller compressor wouldn't handle filling them. 

kdbgoat

One way to find out is just try the stapler with the compressor you have. It'll either work or it won't. I wouldn't go buy another without trying the one I had

Corky

I thought I'd add a link for the Ryobi cordless stapler just for an FYI.
I like the handiness of this unit. No fussing around with airlines, lugging a compressor around.
I've shot 1-1/4 staple into some purpleheart and it buried the staple, plenty of power.

Here is a review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBLn6CM4UT0

SpencerPJ

kdbgoat said:
One way to find out is just try the stapler with the compressor you have. It'll either work or it won't. I wouldn't go buy another without trying the one I had
:)) :)) :))

These things are popular at pawn shops as well.  Just sayin.

Tom

Administrator
[quote author=Utclmjmpr] For WOOD trim , I prefer brads to staples.[/quote]

Me too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrosbyDave
Top Bottom