Starter runs on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnnyt

I turn the key and the starter gear spins without engaging the fly wheel. It keeps spinning with the key off and the cab battery unhooked. It wont stop untill i unhook the coach batteries. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Bad starter for starters. Something with the wiring is also wonky

First time it happened it burned up the starter. I just replaced it with a new one. And a new ignition switch. It blew my mind when i unhooked the cab battery and it kept running. I've scratched a bold spot on my head with this one.

Sory im figuring this out. Its a 97 minnie winnie with the ford E350 6.8 v-10

Its not that it wont spin. The problem is once i turn the key it wont stop until i unhook the coach batteries.

I've only had the rv for about 6 months. I replaced all of the water heater components except the tank. Replaced the starter about four months ago and again last week. Replaced the ignition switch yesterday. I did get the generator going by forcing magnetism but i didn't work on any wiring. However the remote start switch on it did stop working at the same time this problem began. I also replaced the batteries in the coach. After i replaced the ignition switch it started normally for about 15 starts and i thought i had fixed it but then......

I am not familiar with the coach but it sounds like there are multiple things going on.

I am betting there is a starter relay that's bad.

On a couple versions of the British MGB there was a diode in the starter system that was related to the parking brake light. When the diode failed the starter would run continuously as long as the parking brake was set.

Without a schematic and some troubleshooting skills this could take a while and involve some shotgun component replacements.

FYI on my coach the starter relay has an issue. I disabled it and installed a push to start switch.

I would disconnect the starter wire from the starter bendix and rig up a separate remote start switch temporarily - you can buy a start gun at many auto places. If the remote switch reliably starts the RV without run on, you likely have isolated to the starter relay.

Hey guys, i did something pretty amateur, even for me. I pulled the starter after i bought it but didnt get a new one for a period of time and forgot the wiring. I put the wire from the coach battery on one pole and the wire coming from the cab battery on the other. This allowed just enough voltage to spin the starter gear. It didnt show itself becouse the compartment batteries were dead but when i put the new ones in i had an emergency because were packing it up now to head to tallahassee. Thank you all for the assistance it is much appreciated and i hope to return the favor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom