Starting out and looking for full-time living campers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DSwelin

My husband and I are looking at buying a camper to be living in full time for a few years while we build on our property. (This is in Alberta, so whatever we go with needs to be able to handle cold long winters with proper winter skirting) We are looking at getting either a SportTrek Touring Edition or a LaCrosse camper. I have seen some reviews for the SportTrek that we a little concerning, but I am not sure if is was a few people with major problems or if it is a company to stay away from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the unit is to be stationary for the time period you might want to consider a Park model type home. You would likely get better insulation than an RV.

If you do consider a park model do some research in regards to inspections and what your area considers an RV to be. We purchased unrestricted property in a very rural area in Virginia. We were told we could put anything we wanted on this property; there were no restrictions. We purchased a park model cabin and had it delivered. The power company required we have the electrical be inspected by the county. They came out said the state of Virginia classifies any park model 400 SF and larger as a single wide mobile home. So now we have to have the plumbing, the piers underneath, the mechanical, everything inspected. We really like our cabin but it’s been a bit of a nightmare getting utilities into it. Here is a photo of it in the winter.

Attachments

• A6FC609D-34A2-4175-BA65-91E6BB2E1814.jpeg
    A6FC609D-34A2-4175-BA65-91E6BB2E1814.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 5
I don't care how much skirting you have, insulation you put over the windows, pillows you stuff in the skylights and lightbulbs you leave burning in the wet bay. This will be an exercise in frustration and discomfort at best. The only way this works is if you can park it in a heated shed. Even if you pour 10 gallons of propane a day into it, you can't get past the condensation and water management issues an RV has in sub freezing temperatures. It's one thing to go for week or two that way but months at a time, I'd be coming up with another plan.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Hi there im from the Calgary area and there is no way i would even attempt it with either of those units. Besides the fact they are base model.units with little to no insulation, where will you get water from at -30C how will you shower? Use the toilet or dump a frozen tank?

If your serious look for a used Roughneck they are used alot in ft.mac and can handle the cold part but not the water part and you will need a 500gallon propane tank filled regularly. I was in Drumheller this year (not camping) it hit -43c this winter is supposed to be worse

Well, considering you live in an area that gets really cold, how about considering something a little bit unconventional.... like an "Ice house".

Wisconsin, Minnesota, these are more common. I saw my first one several years ago in South Dakota.

Click here.

Yes, they lower to the ground (or on a frozen lake and have holes in the floor you can open up and fish through, directly on the lake). If they work well sitting on a frozen lake, I think they'd work well anywhere. Some do not have water built in them though.

Anyway, it's just something "different" you might look into and consider.

Back
Top Bottom