Starting with a Tent Trailer - we'll see where it goes... any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

red3

Hi,

I'm Alan, nickname Red3.

I live in Alberta, Canada and had a great holiday renting an RV caravan last summer.
Got me thinking this might be a good way to get away more often with the family.

I have a Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L V6 - towing capacity 3800lbs) wife and four kids.
Looking to add a tow package to the van to hitch up a Tent Trailer.

What's the best tent trailer that can safely be towed by my Caravan?

Cheers,
Red3

I don't know that there is a best,  Go with the one you like the most.

A caravan should be able to pull most popups, they tend to check in at 2,000 pounds or less (under 1,000 KG) which puts them in range for many mini-vans (my Lumina can tow 2,000 lbs and has, many times)

However I do suggest you save your money because sure as you are starting with a pop-up... You are gonna want to upgrage.

I started in a Pop-tent (Thermous used to sell them a half century or so ago) Went to a Pop-up (Tent trailer) to a hard trailer and am currently sitting in a Class A... Like I said, you are going to want to upgrade... I did.

We had a pop-up and had a good time in it.
You shouldn't have trouble pulling any of them with a van.
Just make sure you start to set up before dark or buy some really big flashlights.
Have a great time!
Diana

red3 said:
Hi,

I have a Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L V6 - towing capacity 3800lbs) wife and four kids.
Looking to add a tow package to the van to hitch up a Tent Trailer.

What's the best tent trailer that can safely be towed by my Caravan?

The best tent trailer for you is one that weighs less than 3040 lbs fully loaded.  Use the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of a trailer to determine that. 

Back
Top Bottom