state park reservations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbay

I've noticed that camping in state run parks is quite a bit cheaper than commercial camp sites, they also appear to get good reviews by the people who use them.

How far in advance do you need to reserve a pitch in late June early July SC, NC, TN  and GA.

Thank you

Many state parks are first-come-first-served. Check the websites for the states you're interested in to see if they take reservations. For the ones that do, you can usually see how they're filling up. I would bet that for late June, early July, you'd need reservations, if they take them, early. If fact, that time period covers July 4th, prime campground time.

Enjoy
Wendy

Well, the kids get out of school about that time and then there is July 4th weekend. Depends on the park but even so, not all the sites are reservable. Several sites are held back and are available to walk-ins.

In Georgia and I think S. Carolina, you can reserve a few months in advance, Not all sites can be reserved and during summer I would suggest at least a month if you have specific needs. Holiday weekends may need more time.

Try Here

www.gastateparks.org

You've got to check each state and each park for that matter, as they all have different rules.  In IL, there are only a small percentage of sites that can be reserved and an additional fee applies for that.  We have stayed in many state parks and really like them.  The amenities (like swimming pools, etc.) are often lower than private CG's, but bigger state parks almost always have great trails, lakes, sometimes restaurants, and all other kinds of more "natural" fun stuff to do.

Thank you all for your input.......I have a rough schedule route and itinerary, however it would have been nice to maybe do a couple of stops on the fly, however I don't like the idea of not finding a place to camp and being stuck in some lay-by or supermarket car park

With the judicious use of a cell phone and a Trailer Life or Woodalls  campground directory, it is easy to avoid the parking lot fate.  Pick a campground and call ahead the evening before or even the morning of the day and you can pick up a reservation.  Do it all the time myself.

mbay said:
Thank you all for your input.......I have a rough schedule route and itinerary, however it would have been nice to maybe do a couple of stops on the fly, however I don't like the idea of not finding a place to camp and being stuck in some lay-by or supermarket car park

State parks (in IL anyway) almost always have spots available unless you are camping during some special event, like a holiday weekend or local festival of some kind.

We stay in State parks all the time. Have been doing it for 20 plus years all over the United States.  MUCH CHEAPER than private owned parks. You don't have all the extra amenities that you have in the private parks. Most State park reservations can be made through ReserveAmerica.com  According to what state you are interested in, you can make your reservations up to 11 months in advance. On holiday weekends, you have a 3 night min. requirement. 14 nights is the max. stay in State Parks, but all you have to do is leave for a night and come back in with a new reservation for an additional 14 day stay. I would never recommend counting on being a drive in and expect to get a site-maybe for one night but that would be the limit. Lot's of the state campgrounds will have a few sites they keep for just travelers to have a night's place to stop. If you make a reservation with RA, if you have to cancel, it is only a $10 cancellation fee. If you are looking for reservations for 2010 holiday weekends, better be making them now and if you are lucky there may still be some available.  Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom