STATE PARKS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dneighbo

We bought our motorhome to do some cross country travel (and we have), but to do some test runs before leaving we decided to go local.  We were found that our not only does our state park system have some nice parks, but they offer a park pass at a modest fee that gets you entrance to all of them.  This of course, turned into a challenge for our family.  Can we see all the parks.  Here is a list of parks with those we have seen bolded.

Northern Region

* Dead Horse Ranch State Park (Recreational/Camping)
    * Fool Hollow Lake Recreation Area (Recreational/Camping)
    * Fort Verde State Historic Park (Historic)
    * Homolovi Ruins State Park (Archeology/Recreation/Camping)
    * Jerome State Historic Park (Historic)
    * Lyman Lake State Park (Recreational/Camping)
    * Red Rock State Park (Recreational/Educational)
    * Riordan Mansion State Historic Park (Historic)
    * Slide Rock State Park (Recreational)
    * Tonto Natural Bridge State Park (Recreational)

Southern Region

* Boyce Thompson Arboretum State Park (Education)
    * Catalina State Park (Recreational/Camping)
    * Lost Dutchman State Park (Recreational/Camping)
    * Kartchner Caverns State Park (Recreational/Educational/Camping)
    * McFarland State Historic Park (Historic)
    * Oracle State Park (Group Educational)
    * Patagonia Lake State Park (Recreational/Camping)
    * Picacho Peak State Park (Recreational/Camping)
    * Roper Lake State Park (Recreational/Camping)
    * San Rafael Ranch Natural Area (not open to public)
    * Sonoita Creek Natural Area (Under Construction)
    * Tombstone Courthouse State Historic Park (Historic)
    * Tubac Presidio State Historic Park (Historic)

Western Region

* Alamo Lake State Park (Recreational/Camping)
    * Buckskin Mountain State Park (Recreational/Camping)
    * Cattail Cove State Park (Recreational/Camping)
    * Lake Havasu State Park (Recreational/Camping)
    * Yuma Crossing State Historic Park (Historic)
    * Yuma Territorial Prison State Historic Park (Historic)

Get out there and see the beauty of your state.  :)

State parks are definitely worth a visit. However, some folks may not realize that many state parks have length limitations, so some of the longer RVs aren't allowed in. OTOH I've seen more than one state park make allowance for us when we were over their length limit.

Another heads up with state parks - anyone travelling with pets may need proof of vaccinations. Again, a state park made allowance for us when we truned up with a dog an no certificate; They let us call our vet and hand the phone to the ranger to obtain verbal confirmation.

All of my above experiences were a number of years ago.

I notice most of your parks are in Arizona..We are planning some snowbird time in Arizona and are planning on going to several of the parks listed..Could you tell me about the pass you talk about. In Califronia a state parks pass does not include overnight camping, did your pass include camping previldges!? Thanks

Here is a list of parks with those we have seen bolded.

Uhhhh, dumb question but what state or states are these parks in?  I must have missed something.  ???

Regards,
Liz

Jackliz said:
Here is a list of parks with those we have seen bolded.

Uhhhh, dumb question but what state or states are these parks in?? I must have missed something.? ????

Arizona, it would appear.

In my experience state parks usually have at least some sites held for "drive-ins", i.e. not available to be reserved.  Ditto for Corp of Engineer and Forest Service parks.

We've found that in a typical COE park, only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the sites are reservable.  The reserveusa.com web site handles the reservations and has detailed site maps showing what sites are reservable and which are not.

Some California state parks on the north-south routes have what they call "Olympic sites". These are gravel, no hookup sites put in prior to the LA Olympics to accomodate folks just wanting somewhere to sleep for the night. It's been a few years since we stayed in one of these, but they used to charge just $5/night. At one of our favorite spots, if we paid $5/night for a boat berth, they gave us an Olympic site free.

In Michigan a certain percentage of the sites in state parks are reserved for phone/internet reservations and only about 10 percent of the sites are first come, first serve.  If we don't book early, its very hard here to get into the nicer state campgrounds on short notice.

As I live in Arizona, I recognize all the parks name in the original thread as being in Arizona.  To the best of my knowledge, all Arizona State park camping grounds do not take reservations.  However, if you go to their web site, you can usually find a phone number to call and get a status that might help you to decide if you want to take a chance on getting in. When I called Catalina State Park near Tucson two weeks ago, they told me: "It's 106 degrees today, we have lots of open space for you you to choose from." AZ high country is busier in the summer. The warmer parts of AZ start to fill up beginning late September, early October.

Back
Top Bottom