State vehicle inspections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodyswagon

Thanks again for all the help. I have another question sorry,

Does anyone know what must be working properly for a State Inspection? Here in Missouri we have State inspections on RVs and I need to know what that consist of.

any guess??

Thanks

Does anyone know what all is involved with a State Required Inspection before getting a license plate for the RV?

I am in Missouri and we must have a State Inspection. any ideas what they are looking for so i can make sure items are good?

thanks

Most state inspections are for safety purposes.  Inspection includes:  brakes, exterior lights, horn, exhaust emissions, tires, mirrors and other visibility items.

Ron from Big D said:
Most state inspections are for safety purposes.? Inspection includes:? brakes, exterior lights, horn, exhaust emissions, tires, mirrors and other visibility items.

Hi Ron:

I purchased my rig in Round Rock, TX earlier this year -- and it had current inspection stickers on the windshield.  What do you pay for such an inspection and is it required every year? Fortunately, I was able to high tail it out of the State before they had to be renewed.

In CA, we have to have a smog inspection done every two years -- but that is all for plates, plate renewal or transfer of ownership. It's best to have it done at a shop that "only" does the inspection. Otherwise, some have run into shops that want to repair something that really doesn't need it.

The whole thing is ludicrous as 18 wheeler big rigs sending tons of diesel soot into the atmosphere are not required to have such an inspection (or that's the last word I read). And the little guy with a Honda Civic has to pony up the bucks every two years to keep the environment clean. ??? ???

The only thing more ludicrous are the State inspection stations on CA borders.

A safety inspection typically includes all lights, horn, brakes, windshield wipers, and in some locales, an emissions test.  The requirements vary not only by state but also by city or county.  Check with an inspection station to find out what applies in your area.

Woodyswagon, see my answer to your other posting.

Bob, TX requires an annual inspection but only if you're actually in the state.  The cost is $12.50 unless you're registered it in one of the 3 areas that also require an emissions test, where it costs a bit more.  Our last inspection last month required we replace on windshield wiper blade on the Honda, nothing on the motor home.

Thank you Bob for your answers, I am talking about Missouri though. Do i take the Rv to Rv dealer or can any inspection station do the testing?

Thanks

Unless we have someone from MO here, I suggest you call the state DMV and ask them.  In some states, like TX, the inspections are done by commercial businesses with the fee set by the state, in others, like WI, the state runs the inspection stations.

Woodyswagon said:
Thank you Bob for your answers, I am talking about Missouri though. Do i take the Rv to Rv dealer or can any inspection station do the testing?

Thanks

You are welcome, Woodyswagon. If your concern is not passing and then having to retest -- in CA if for any reason a retest is necessary, there is no charge. So just go have it done to find out what else is needed and go back for the retest. Would imagine the no charge for retest is valid in other States as well.

In CA, only State authorized outlets can do the emissions test. Am not 100% sure, but don't think an RV dealership would do that test. The inspection deals with the chassis vs. the RV park of the rig -- so perhaps a Ford or whatever garage may be authorized to do it, though I doubt it.

There is a special provision in the law here for RVs -- in that the drive axle spin test does not have to be done. That's where they rev the engine up to X number of RPMs to test the emission. The reason being that each test station has rotator wheels for the vehicle drive wheels to spin installed -- and RVs just won't fit into that portion of the garage where they are located. So that part of the test is waived for RVs.

Ned -- thanks for the feedback on TX law and costs. So I would not have had to have the test done after leaving TX anyway. However, I purchased during the last month of the plates and test -- so had to renew within a month after purchase, somewhere. If a rig is purchased outside of CA, the CA resident owner has 20 days to register upon return to the State. On the 21st day, there is a 40% penalty. Once you cross the State line, the clock starts ticking. Another issue altogether, but I also had to then pay use tax on the trade-in, which TX didn't require at the time of purchase.

$12.50?? Wow. I paid something like $75 for the rig and $35 - $40 for the Jeep in CA. Even if the TX stickers for inspection were still in place, CA requires CA tests anyway. If it weren't for my Kaiser HMO plan, I would be out of CA in a heartbeat -- in terms of residence. Now, enjoying the beauty and environment of the high Sierras, dinner on the Bay in San Francisco, getting high in the Napa Valley, walking the pier at Pismo Beach and so forth and so forth -- I love it.

A few years ago I had my bi-annual emissions test. The operator insisted I drive onto the rollers for the automatic test which starts with idle emissions, then rolling emissions, finally idle emissions again. Tried several times to explain full-time, all-wheel drive to convince her that it couldn't be done; all to no avail. I finally had enough and shut off the engine, got out, locked the car, and found the facility manager; none too hurriedly, I might add. He came out with me, took one look at the car, and read the operator the riot act. He then instructed her to put the test pipes in the exhausts and do just the idle test. There were lots of unhappy motorists behind me that day!

Bob Buchanan said:
Hi Ron:

I purchased my rig in Round Rock, TX earlier this year -- and it had current inspection stickers on the windshield.? What do you pay for such an inspection and is it required every year? Fortunately, I was able to high tail it out of the State before they had to be renewed.

In CA, we have to have a smog inspection done every two years -- but that is all for plates, plate renewal or transfer of ownership. It's best to have it done at a shop that "only" does the inspection. Otherwise, some have run into shops that want to repair something that really doesn't need it.

The whole thing is ludicrous as 18 wheeler big rigs sending tons of diesel soot into the atmosphere are not required to have such an inspection (or that's the last word I read). And the little guy with a Honda Civic has to pony up the bucks every two years to keep the environment clean. ??? ???

The only thing more ludicrous are the State inspection stations on CA borders.

From the DMV web site, this is the list of vehicles exempt from the biennial smog check in CA:

Hybrid
1975 year model or older
Diesel powered
Electric
Natural gas powered and has a Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 14,001 lbs. or more.
Motorcycle
Trailer

That'll teach you not to go diesel, say I with a pair of gassers.  ;D

Carl,

As I reported here, my local smog test guy told me that CA is considering smog tests for diesels. Hope they won't do that for diesel powered boats also; Would be tough to put the old tub up on a dyno  ;D

Tom said:
Carl,

As I reported here, my local smog test guy told me that CA is considering smog tests for diesels. Hope they won't do that for diesel powered boats also; Would be tough to put the old tub up on a dyno ;D

Heave ho, me hearty!

It wasn't easy to find, but this should answer your question. 

http://sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/11csr/11c50-2.pdf

Last year I had a buddy purchase an RV  from an Insurance pool and he sold it to a guy from Mo.  The Guy tried to do everything by the book and register it.  Got the wrong inspector on a bad hair day.    It was a Nightmare.  Magor inspection cuz  the insurance  stamped the title with the RED stamp  Alert went up and they inspected every single thing over 3 days and still wouldn't OK it cuz it didn't have a rebuilt  Cost list of parts used.  None were used, nothing was wrong with the RV  It was picked up for storage on storage lot and held to resale but the insurance stamped it in red for salvage.  Finally the guy dumped  ink on part of the tile and sent it in to the state  They oked it without the red ink showing and they retested with no problems.  This is a  littledifferent then the situation here but beware when and where you have it inspected.  If someone at  the inspection station is a tough nut  Go elsewhere.  Save yourself some headaches. 

Carl Lundquist said:
From the DMV web site, this is the list of vehicles exempt from the biennial smog check in CA:
Trailer

LOL, I can't believe they actually included trailer on that list.  ;D  Of course that means at some point, someone (probably lots of people) seriously asked "you mean I don't have to get my trailer smog tested?"  :p

scottydl said:
LOL, I can't believe they actually included trailer on that list.? ;D? Of course that means at some point, someone (probably lots of people) seriously asked "you mean I don't have to get my trailer smog tested?"? ?:p

This surprises you?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom