Stay Alert Out There

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H5-Phil

We were recently cruising across Florida towards Georgia minding our own business when...  A young lady zipping along in her Honda Accord decided to try and weave between the rear of a semi truck (in the #2 lane) and the front of my truck (#3 lane).  She misjudged by just enough to make contact with the driver's side front bumper of my F-350.

It all happened SO fast.  My first indication that my leisurely drive was about to change was when her vehicle contacted my truck and simultaneously started to wrap around the front of it!  I tapped the breaks hard and to my great surprise and pleasure, she fishtailed away instead of going broadside on my front bumper. 

This is my first accident while towing our 31' TT.  I think what helped keep this accident minor (besides my luck) was that I've always told myself that the trailer follows the truck, so I dive the truck and figure the trailer will take care of itself.  I'm of the opinion that while towing, swerving hard while braking hard is a recipe for disaster.  I was prepared to push this Honda broadside down the road if I had to.

So, I'm posting here not only as a reminder to stay alert out there, but to also find out if my towing strategy is flawed.

Attachments

• Crasn3sm.jpg
    Crasn3sm.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Crash2sm.jpg
    Crash2sm.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 170
  • Crash1sm.jpg
    Crash1sm.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 171
Boy that could have turned out allot worst than what it did. She and you we're very lucky. Was she on her phone? You may never know.

Rene T said:
Boy that could have turned out allot worst than what it did. She and you we're very lucky. Was she on her phone? You may never know.

Yes, lucky indeed, so many ways this could have gone very wrong.  Coincidentally, the Trooper that responded told me a witness to the accident had called to report it.  So, there is a chance the accident report may indicate whether or not she was on the phone.

You have to stay on your toes...Folks are on vacation and they just don't pay attention.

We are be spending a few weeks in FL. and the number of stupid drivers has exceeded my limit for the month.

Good job keeping your truck under control.

You really do have to pay attention out there, it seems drivers are getting worse every year.  I was just mentally going over the accidents I have experienced in my live either as a driver or a passenger and on average they seem to be getting more frequent, as well as more clearly faults of the other driver.  The last 2 major accidents I have experienced (16 months ago, and 11 years ago), have both involved people running red lights that had been red for many seconds, both accidents happened in a 35 mph zone on a 4 lane highway in town near my house.  This does not count the guy that backed into me at a traffic light by my house 2 years ago (he felt he had pulled too far forward at the light so put it in reverse and crunch), or the guy that tapped my wife's rear bumper 1 block in the other direction from the house 2 weeks ago not paying attention when traffic came to a stop just after it had started forward when the light turned green.

Worse yet both the people that ran the lights and hit us both claimed they had the right of way, thankfully witnesses stopped in both cases and agreed with our version of events.  It is getting to where I approach every green light with caution.

My brother has a story like that only the ending was a bit more mangled. Nobody got hurt but he was not driving a pickup pulling an RV type trailer. He was driving a Kenworth pulling a flat bed with a load of steel,,, total about 150,000 pounds... They stuck him in a Peterbilt while his KW was being rebuilt and he dang near went broke paying for fuel (The KW had a Detroit Diesel in it, the one that sipped fuel instead of guzzling like most trucks do).

I've had some darn near like that.... Very scary...  NOTE: This is one of the arguments in favor of having a dash cam.. Often the other guy will argue all about how it's your fault... I've seen that in person (Though it was my daughter).. She told her story (The truth) The skid marks and damage to the vehcile were easily read by both me and the investigating officer (Same story as my daughter) and the other guy tried to tell the officer how it was all her fault.. ... He wrote it up.. the way my darling truth telling daughter told it cause like I said. the PHYSICAL evidence told the same story.

Don't always get that lucky.

Just think what could have happened if you had way too much trailer for your truck. This is why a lot of us come out of the woodwork to explain why it is necessary to have the proper tool for the job. We are so glad you did.  :)

:eek: And driving for the other guy gets worse every minute of the day as new drivers take to the highways! It is no longer just driving for ourselves! Red Light  and stop sign runners. Speeders, Texting and phone use without blue tooth connections is the worst.  ::)

You must of had some extra driving skills to avoid it being a catastrophy!

It looks like those of us in Floriduh are getting an anti-texting law today when our governor sings it in. It makes texting while driving a primary offense. Drivers can still use GPS and dont have to hand over their phone to the popo.
  It's about time but still going to be problem, cellphones are too deeply rooted in our society for most to do without them even for a short trip.Besides, you cant legislate common sense.

Minnesota is about to adopt the no hands cell phone law shortly.  I can't say I am opposed to it. I have seen way too many folks with the phone to their ear, and worse yet looking down to text.  I use blue tooth in the car, but in the RV I simply will not answer the phone. I let the DW do that for me.  {Hope my girl friend never call!}.  {No, I don't have one.  One female is enough trouble}.

catblaster said:
  It looks like those of us in Floriduh are getting an anti-texting law today when our governor sings it in. It makes texting while driving a primary offense. Drivers can still use GPS and dont have to hand over their phone to the popo.
  It's about time but still going to be problem, cellphones are too deeply rooted in our society for most to do without them even for a short trip.Besides, you cant legislate common sense.
Great law but how will it be enforced?  It will be about like the law that says you can't drive without a license or insurance.

wackymac said:
Great law but how will it be enforced?  It will be about like the law that says you can't drive without a license or insurance.

I agree.  I wish the whole country had a 'Hands Free' law.  NOBODY driving should have a phone in their hands, ever.

To the OP, great job.  I bet a change of underwear was in order  ;) :D :D :D

My theory is if it is my A** or yours you can kiss yours goodbye unless it is my fault then I do whatever possible to minimize any damage. Like Phil said " He would have pushed her sideways on the roof" if need be to protect himself and family.
Joe

I blame the video game culture for the growing number of aggressive (stupid) drivers on the road.  If you spend your formative years playing adrenaline rush road racing or combat games those attitudes are almost certainly going to affect your real life.

catblaster said:

It's been a long time coming. My question is how are they going to enforce it when you see the majority of the side windows are tinted so black that you can't tell if it's a man or woman driving.

Will, is it against the law in FL to have the drivers/passengers window tinted?  I heard it was but I even see the police have theirs tinted.

My understanding is the side windows, including the driver side can be tinted but the limit is limited to its darkness.....no one listens to the law......copied from google;
  Window tint darkness in Florida. Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. Front Side windows: Must allow more than 28% of light in. Back Side windows: Must allow more than 15% of light in. Rear Window: Must allow more than 15% of light in.

Glad everyone is ok...and glad it did not ruin your plans! We got in a small fender bender on the 1st day of our 2-week trip from NY to Myrtle Beach back in 2011. Similar to yours, it was someone trying to merge too soon - luckily it ended only with a couple of scrapes on my fender (buffed out when we got home) and the car losing her right side mirror. She was yelling at me and accused me of "racing her" (some race - 16,000 lbs vs. 3,000) and "threatened" to call the cops. When I pulled out my phone and told her I'd call for her, she changed her tune. We exchanged info, I called her insurance agent when we got to camp that night, and never heard back from them. I guess they took my side.  ;D

Some of these no hands cell phone laws concern me because I'm not using a cell phone (At least not as a phone) when driving. Oh it may be mY GPS or my car radio (WTWW.US  Listen  TRANSMITTER 2) and of course it is the internet interface for another device I don't even touch or look at (It is behind the seat when I drive) but the Icom ID-51 2-way Radio I have a FEDERAL LICENSE to use (Requried) is not a phone. but it can be cordless.

Now the ID-5100 (which is another Icom radio I'm licenesed to use) has a corded microphonethat does not look like a cell phone.

But I worry smokey may not understandthe difference.

Oh well Fix that wed. Get the hand mic for the ID-51

Enforcement has been haphazard at best, the police don't know what is legal and what isn't. One driver got ticketed because he was wearing the earbuds with the phone laying on the seat beside him, the battery was dead but that didn't matter to the LEO. Apparently I can use the phone as long as it is fixed to the dash but I'm not going to push my luck.

Back
Top Bottom