Steering Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olly72

Hey Guys and Girls need help in understanding a situation.  My mechanic is doing some upkeep on my Itasca.  We found some unusual wear patterns on my front 19.5 tires so I had him order dome new ones.  Well he has gotten an education in steering tires.  I thought the tires for the front and back were the same but he is being told that I need STEERING tires for the front.  Can some one explain this to me.

Thanks. 

Motorhomes typically run "steer" tires in all positions, commercial trucks run "steer" tires on the front, and "traction" tires on the back.

p.s. if buying for a commercial truck tire for motorhome use, you probably want to look at a "regional" or "delivery" tire instead of a "long haul" tire that is marked as steer/all position tire

Regional tires, are built with stronger side walls to handler more cornering, at the expense of less mileage life, Delivery tires take that to more extreme, and are designed for a lot more cornering forces and stronger curb protection for delivery truck use.

19.5" tires are usually only available as "all position regional delivery.  I have used Double Coin and Sailun. They both performed better than twice as expensive Goodyear.

If you want to understand stear tire vs AS tires look up Michelin XPS Rib, look at the tread design.  Now look at ant Ll Season tire and check the tread design.  See the difference?

Some tires are designed for "steer only" (front axles) and some for "traction only (rear axles), but most are "all-position".  On a motorhome, there is no benefit to dedicated steer or traction tires, so just get all-position and don't worry.

Back
Top Bottom