Steinhatchee Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjsaxt

Hello everyone I would like to know how nice Steinhatchee Florida is HAs anyone stayed in the area?

I may buy out in this area and would like to know if any rving person has an opion

thanks

I have not been on the ground in Steinhatchee, FL but used it as a reference point when flying weekly between Punta Gorda and Carrabelle. From the air it is a very isolated "boating" community. The closest town of any size is Chiefland and the nearest big town is Gainesville. Unless there is a manmade beach in Steinhatchee there are no beaches between Clearwater and St George Island, it's all mangroves for at least 200 miles in that area. The humidity is sometime very overbearing. On the good side, if you are into boating and eating fresh fish (particularly grouper) you've picked a good spot. I used to see commercial fishing boats about 20 - 25 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico in that area. I would strongly suggest a trip there and see if you can handle it on a long term basis. As for buying, it's probably a good deal as I watched the place grow from nothing to what it is now. If you are thinking about scuba diving, the best cave diving (fresh water) in the world is reasonable close with the "blue grotto" the most famous. Let us know when you do something about buying or not and why. Good luck !

It depends on what you consider "nice".  If restaurants and shopping with 15+ miles are part of a nice life, forget it. Steinhatchee is very isolated, as 29er says. Definitely a boating & fishing spot, and boating doesn't mean a port of call for large yachts either.  Chiefland is the nearest town of any consequence - grocery store and the like.  You would probably want to go to Gainesville for a restaurant.

You talk about being in the sticks, thats it for sure  40 miles from nowhere.  Out side of highprices you won't find much in Chiefland.  It's either Gainesville or Ocala and that's a good jount.  We traveled 19 for years going to Tampa and even the east coast.  19 is the hurricane escape route up to Tallahassee.  When going from St Louis area we always dropped down 65 at Nashville and thru Alabama to Troy to visit friends and then south  Love that trip  better roads than going thru Chattanooga and down the insterstate.    However  west of 19  is not much and just small places with beautiful coast line and tons of fishing.  But if that's what you like  go for it.

Back
Top Bottom