Steps come to slow stop half way up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omaruth

I’m looking for help to figure out why my steps won’t go all the way up. If I use my foot to lift them all the way up, they’ll stay, otherwise they slow and stop. Can anyone tell if I replace the actuator that it’ll take care of the problem?

Attachments

• D1C086AE-A448-4E72-B381-9D9F9AA2EBF4.jpeg
    D1C086AE-A448-4E72-B381-9D9F9AA2EBF4.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 10
  • CE7A2948-8B76-4D9F-BA01-C2DEA4841697.jpeg
    CE7A2948-8B76-4D9F-BA01-C2DEA4841697.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 10
Ditto on lubricating everything first. You might want to consider a penetrating oil first to clear any grime and/or rust then lubricate. I'm dooming my motor to failure by saying this, but the motor is still raising the steps after 20 plus years. I lube the pivot points 2 to 3 times per year.

Lubricating everything is a good starting point. The step's circuit board doesn't have any means of detecting the step's physical location, it turns off the power when the motor draws more current as it stalls at the end of it's travel either fully in or out. If you have a bound up joint the motor can trip the cutout before it reaches the end of travel.

A dry lubricant like this one will help keep it from attracting more dirt in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-16-TDL-Advanced-Lube-Teflon/dp/B0002JM8HM

Last edited:
I had the same problem. It was worse in the winter. Lubrication fixed it.

Sorry for the delay! Life happened! So, yes, a few times. Doesn’t help at all.

Many times the steps use the chassis battery not the house batteries. Be sure you have a good chassis battery and it is charged and it is always good to verify where the power is coming from. Best test for that would be to use the steps with the chassis engine running. If they work well with the engine running, you may have a battery problem. Many older MHs do not charge the chassis batteries when plugged into shore/generator power. This will cause chassis batteries to have a low state of charge and reduce their life expectancy.

If that makes no difference, be sure you are lubricating all of the joints. There will be 2 or 4 that are hidden and will require someone crawling underneath to get at them. Be careful if you do that as the steps could extend or retract while you are near or under them causing injury.

If all that proves good, next would be to disconnect the step assembly from the motor/ actuator and hand free wheel the steps to be sure they are mechanically moving freely.

Look for anything bent or anything that has been hit.

After all of that, motor and actuator becomes likely.

Here's a few diagrams that maybe applicable to your step. However, there are a lot of models and many use different parts. The concept is the same... and that included a motor just like the ones used in your car that automatically stops when the window reaches max "up" or max "down" position.

Low voltage and also be the result of a dirty 4-prong plug. ...Just remember to watch your hands (arms and legs) as power is constantly provided to your steps and may activate when you least expect it!

Attachments

• Kwikee 4-Wire Plug Ignition Override Test.jpg
    Kwikee 4-Wire Plug Ignition Override Test.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Kwikee Step Series 25 Parts (Keep).jpg
    Kwikee Step Series 25 Parts (Keep).jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member