Steps won't retract when starting the motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could be Dutch. But the OP should just keep that possibility in mind. Our problem was similar. Thought it might be the switch, or the reed, or possibly the 4 way connector. After several years and finally a step that would not retract under any circumstances, we had to resort to a hammer to remove the clevis pin so our steps would swing freely and then tied them closed so we could leave our campsite.

Could be Dutch. But the OP should just keep that possibility in mind. Our problem was similar. Thought it might be the switch, or the reed, or possibly the 4 way connector. After several years and finally a step that would not retract under any circumstances, we had to resort to a hammer to remove the clevis pin so our steps would swing freely and then tied them closed so we could leave our campsite.
Your steps worked normally except for not retracting when the ignition was turned on too?

Position of switch didn't matter. Since I replaced the step motor, it works flawlessly.
I'm glad that worked for you. That's not the OP's problem though, and a new motor isn't the fix in his case. His steps work ok with the switch in the "follow door" position, they just don't retract when the ignition switch is turned on as they should.

You're probably right Dutch. I was just throwing it out there as something to consider if the switch fix doesn't solve the problem. Ours had the problem for a year or two before the motor failed. Steps froze in place and would not budge.

While troubleshooting;
  • purchase and use CRC contact cleaner and lubricant
  • spin your fuses to break any corrosion so they make contact
  • use a meter to verify you have continuity across the fuse and door jamb reed switch
  • re-crimp any crimp connector to break corrosion
  • stay clear of the steps 'cause when they come out they can whack you good.

My Horizon:

Ignition off, step switch on - steps extend and retract with door open and closure. Service shops will turn this switch on to get the steps out of the way when the door is closed

Ignition on - steps extend and retract with door open and closure
Try the fuse.

I can tell everyone this, your door control switch and door contact switch can be all good and you can still have an issue retracting the steps when you start the MH! With mine, if I leave the steps out for an extended period, say a good week or more, they won't retract when you start the MH. I tap the step motor with a hammer and bang they come in. After that they work until it sits again out. Never have the problem of going in and if I leave them in during extended non use, they always come out! So the motor has a dead spot in the out position that only shows itself when they out out for an extend period! I will deal with this for now but it needs a new motor.

As was already stated, the door switch has to report the door is closed before the step will come in. Sounds like your magnetic door switch isn't working. Either not making contact or broken.
I had that problem last week. I re-positioned the magnetic switch so the screen door magnet properly aligned and the step immediately began working as designed.

Turned out the factory had only screwed the magnetic door switch into the carpet on the stepwell wall, not into the metal behind the carpet.

I had the same problem … in my case, the magnetic door switch was the cause. The wire had worn out and broke the connection so the steps stayed out with engine on. I bypassed the magnetic switch with a hard wire. Steps went in immediately when I turned the ignition on. However, the door can be open. On my next stop, I put a toggle switch in the hard wire bypass till I could get a replacement magnetic switch.

In the end, I had to replace the controller - thanks to the troubleshooting guide, phone calls to Kwikee and Tiffin I was able to trace and verify all wiring and switches to be correct and operational.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom