Sticker Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian H

When i purchased my Revolution i knew i could get a good reduction on the sticker price,I will be going back to Lazydays again but do the dealers put on a a big profit margin on 5th wheels and travel trailers also does the same apply to truck dealerships
Thanks Ian

Most new Rvs have a similar percentage mark-up and can be discounted accordingly.  The main difference is that higher dollar rigs (larger motorhomes and high end brands) have more absolute dollars in the deal, so a smaller percentage is needed to cover the dealers fixed costs. Net is that you can get a slightly better discount on higher priced rigs.

Car & truck dealers operate in a more competitive environment and their MSRP leaves them with a lower (but not tiny) margin. Bottom line is that discounts are nowhere near as large as RVs. Te customized "RV hauler" trucks might be an exception, cause the MSRP cmes from the customizer, not from the truck manufactures (Ford, GM or Dodge). I would say that 15%-17% is the likely discount on big diesel trucks, but that will vary by region, model demand and time of year (Winter is a good time to buy).  I haven't bought a big truck in ages, so may be out of touch on the current market. The deal can get complex because there are often sales incentives, rebates and such from the manufacturer that figure into the pricing.

Truck dealers have a lot of 2006 models on the lot. Maybe even some 2005's. Shop around before you buy. I saved $12,000 off the list price of $43,000 by purchasing a new 2005 model. Even got them to throw in T,T&L.

Truck dealers have a lot of 2006 models on the lot.

I think that inventory - excess or short - will depend on the region and perhaps the brand as well. For example I do not see a  huge excess truck inventory here in Florida, nor do there appear to be any leftover 2005's on the lots.  On the other hand, the sales lots are well stocked,  so there should be no shortage either. Nationwide, truck sales are down 12-15% from previous years, so discounts should be readily available. Shop several dealers and you should find at least one willing to discount fairly steeply.

Ford and Chevy trucks are the #1 & #2 selling vehicles  in America, so demand remains substantial even in a relatively weak sales year. Even though they are less expensive than Ford or Chevy, Dodge trucks are down around #6 in sales, so Dodge may offer more incentives and discounts.

Back
Top Bottom