Still looking for a door latch assembly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I have a 1979 travel trailer that’s set up permanently in a FL park. I’ve been looking for a door latch assembly. I was hoping maybe someone here has an old trailer and has been using it as a hunting camp out in the woods or maybe as a storage shed on their property. I don’t need to have the key mechanism working. I’ve attached a couple of pictures showing the dimensions of what I’m looking for. I am missing the handle and latch mechanism on the inside

Attachments

• 6A3BEA55-6465-4483-8F3B-1EF9A7DDA702.jpeg
    6A3BEA55-6465-4483-8F3B-1EF9A7DDA702.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 825714ED-5893-4085-869B-D2DD86A90608.jpeg
    825714ED-5893-4085-869B-D2DD86A90608.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 9
Thanks Dutch but that won’t work. The vertical dimension on mine is 5” so I’m sure the cutout will be probably around 4” or more and your cutout is 3.6”.
I’m able to still open the door from the inside by reaching in the cutout and sliding a pin which opens the latch but that’s getting a little difficult for my DW.
I had a thought last fall that maybe I could remove the latch and possibly install a door closing cylinder like you’d put on a screen/storm door. All we’d have to do is just push on the door to open it and it would close by itself. The door leads to a screen room/Florida room which has two exterior doors which have door locks so everything would still be secured.

I went to see a guy today who restored old trailers. I was shocked when he said he’d never seen that style latch. In my park in FL, there are several trailers around the same year as mine. They all have the jealousy style windows in the front and some of the side windows also. I’m now wondering if these trailers are actually park model trailers and not rv’s. They have the regular hitches in the front and many of them have been removed over the years.

I wonder if there is a way to add an extension to that pin or replace it with a longer pin and attach a lever/handle of some kind? Would make it easier to activate it for your DW. Or disable the mechanism and replace that deadbolt with a traditional door knob?

I wonder if there is a way to add an extension to that pin or replace it with a longer pin and attach a lever/handle of some kind? Would make it easier to activate it for your DW. Or disable the mechanism and replace that deadbolt with a traditional door knob?
I thought if that but the pin is only 5/16” diameter so I thought it would too much stress on the pin and it would break off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom