Still shopping small

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ywilson68

Hi...new to this forum thing!  This seems like a very helpful community, though, so here goes.  Hubby and I are purchasing a 17-19 ft. tt - probably hybrid.  We've narrowed down to Surveyor by Forest River, Keystone Zeppelin 180, Coyote by KZ or Trail Cruiser C17 or 19.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Welcome to the RV Forum!  Other Forum members may have more information on the RV's you are looking at,  so in the meantime feel free to explore the Forum and join in any ongoing discussion.

Enjoy the Forum and if you need any help with the Forum software, let us know so we can help.

We also want to extend our welcome to the RV Forum.  I am sure you will be getting answers to your questions from member.  Thanks for joining us.

Thanks for the welcome.  I should probably use the forum for hybrid trailers from now on for specific help in that area.  In answer to your question regarding tow vehicle, we have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac with 3500 tow limit (hitch wt?), total 5000.

Remember your Sportrac is still just an Explorer and not even a light duty pick-up truck. Be sure to stay welll under te max tow limit and allow for the other weight (paengers and gear) you carry in the Explorer as well as the trailer weight.

ywilson68 said:
Thanks for the welcome.? I should probably use the forum for hybrid trailers from now on for specific help in that area.? In answer to your question regarding tow vehicle, we have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac with 3500 tow limit (hitch wt?), total 5000.

Not really necessary.  If the topic warrants it, one of the staff members can move it to Trailers.

With an Explorer Sport Trac you are well advised to keep things small.  If we had more info on the Explorer we could get a better leg on the tow rating.  We would need year, 4WD or 2WD, auto or manual tranny.

Agree that we definitely have a limit to be concerned with.  04 Explorer 4WD automatic, to let you know, but your comments pretty much in line with the stats we've had access to.  Our latest find is an Aero-lite Cub 160 (by Dutchman?), which is the perfect size, but price range is way above similar models by other companies, and I haven't determined yet why.  At least it has a bathroom sink, which some of the other small models do not!

OK, your truck is rated for 5080 lbs.  With a 10% safety factor you should limit your trailer choices to those of a 4500 lbs gross vehicle weight rating.  If you plan to tow in the mountain or Pacific west, make that 20% and 4000 lbs GVWR.

Use those numbers and find a floor plan and equippage that you like.  My mantra on vacation travel trailers is  that they are simple boxes on one or two dead axles filled with a bunch of standard appliances made by a few mfrs. and which carry their own guarantees.  What you see is largely what you get.

Back
Top Bottom