Still use leveling blocks with leveling system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

For those with leveling systems on their trailers, do you still put the low side tires on blocks to get it close, then level, or just use the leveling system?

IMHO, I would still partially level the rig with blocking first then use the self leveling jacks. I think doing it this way, it may give the trailer a little support by some of the weight on all the wheels.  Maybe not. 

Rene T said:
IMHO, I would still partially level the rig with blocking first then use the self leveling jacks. I think doing it this way, it may give the trailer a little support by some of the weight on all the wheels.  Maybe not.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. The site I'm on now is pretty level side-to-side so really wouldn't matter, but was just curious.

I haven't been using the scissor jacks, X-chocks or kingpin stand (all of which came with the unit) because with the leveling jacks the little walk around movement doesn't bother me ('course, it's just me so who's going to complain?  ;) ). But I have to admit the washer shake is starting to bug me so going to try out all that stuff when I move north next month.

Only when necessary! Though if “not” on pavement, I always use something beneath the “jack foot”, for a larger footprint!  If you do a bit of boondocking...sometimes it’s “necessary”. Last fall, the “only” spot we could find (much private land, difficult access), was on a steep grade. To get our unit level, required 16” of blocking beneath the left front jack ( we have Bigfoot hydraulic leveling)...and we have a lot of jack travel. That’s a lot of elevation change in the 8 feet from right to left. You didn’t enjoy any “alcoholic beverages” and attempt to walk around camp!  ;)

Funny you should bring this up....

While we were out west I drove past a smaller Class A with 3 of the 4 wheels in the Air. Why they picked that spot is beyond me.

The drivers side front was just slightly off the ground but both the back tires were 3 plus inches. It scared me just to look at it.

Gizmo100 said:

While we were out west I drove past a smaller Class A with 3 of the 4 wheels in the Air. Why they picked that spot is beyond me.

The drivers side front was just slightly off the ground but both the back tires were 3 plus inches. It scared me just to look at it.

With four jacks supporting it and just one wheel on the ground, it's not going anywhere. My jacks can support well over twice the weight of my coach.

Gizmo100 said:

I think I'd be worried about cracking a windshield with all the twisting going on if you're not careful.

Rene T said:
I think I'd be worried about cracking a windshield with all the twisting going on if you're not careful.

Some jack systems work in pairs to prevent that from happening. My Bigfoot jacks on automatic for instance, ground each jack and then work in pairs for level positioning. The manual Bigfoot jack system I installed on our previous coach always used jack pairs connected in series to prevent racking the frame.

Back
Top Bottom