storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janpaul

If we get our camper this coming weekend, we won't be using it until spring, is it best to plug it in to keep the battery and system maintained or remove the battery? Any other storage "need to's" or tips will be appreciated. Thanks, Paul

Do they have 240 volt at the receptacle? Is the rv cord three or four conductor? I was under the impression that is was 120 volt three wire judging by the output of the onboard generator.

Carl Lundquist said:
In general, plug 'er in.   If you pull the batteries you will need to keep them up to charge.

Will winterization be necessary if the trailer is kept plugged in?  I thought I read somewhere that the underbelly won't receive heat, even if the electric heat pump (if so equipped) is kept on.  In that case, isn't there a danger of freezing?

Gary

In my case it's 240V 4-wire. 30A service would be 120V 3-wire.

I was under the impression that is was 120 volt three wire judging by the output of the onboard generator.

Without knowing the make/model of the generator, I can't comment. Your prior question specifically asked about 50A; In the RV world, I've only seen 50A at 240V, although in the boating world I see both 50A/240V/4-wire and 50A/120V/3-wire.

GaryB said:
Will winterization be necessary if the trailer is kept plugged in?   I thought I read somewhere that the underbelly won't receive heat, even if the electric heat pump (if so equipped) is kept on.  In that case, isn't there a danger of freezing?

Gary

Gary, I am the wrong guy to ask about winterization -- I live and store in Los Angeles.  (See today's Rose Parade.  ;D)

However, if the tanks are empty, I do not see a problem.  Emptying tanks would seem to be a part of preparation for long term storage anywhere.  In cold climates, draining the plumbing lines and anti-freezing the P-traps of the shower, lavatory, and kitchen sink would seem to be routine precautions.

janpaul said:
If we get our camper this coming weekend, we won't be using it until spring, is it best to plug it in to keep the battery and system maintained or remove the battery? Any other storage "need to's" or tips will be appreciated. Thanks, Paul

Paul:

If you are in Maryland is there any water in the system, if so it needs to be winterized. Leave the refrig door open to avoid moisture.If you are going to leave the camper for 5 months I would pull the battery, keep it in a heated area, and top of the charge every month or so.

I'm not sure about the water in it yet, but I plan on using it in April. There are some nearby campgrounds and parks that we will probably tackle just to stay close to home and get acquainted with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom