storing battery question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckle823

I took the battery out of my TT for the winter. Should I store it in my house to avoid freezing temps, or is it cool (no pun intended) to store it in the garage, on the bench?

There's no need to store it in the house.  It would be a good idea to pick up a small trickle charger to leave hooked up to it to keep it charged.  You can get one at Harbor Freight for under $10.  I have 3 of them, one for TT battery and one for the ATV's batteries.  They work well and don't overcharge.

buckle823 said:
I took the battery out of my TT for the winter. Should I store it in my house to avoid freezing temps, or is it cool (no pun intended) to store it in the garage, on the bench?

Fine.  As Lowell said, hook it to a trickle charger.  Also check the electrolyte level at least monthly.  Do not store it on a concrete floor tho.  If on the floor, rest it on a sheet of plastic or scrap wood.

I know they say do not store batteries on a concrete floor But I would like to not so much KNOW why (I've been told) but understand it.

Is there anyone here who can explain how setting a battery on concrete is harmful, not just what happens, but why?

Tnanks in advance

John,

The battery acid attacks the concrete.  Also the older "hard rubber" cases allowed the acid to pass through and the combination had a tendency to destroy the case, i.e., it developed leaks.  The newer ply whatever cases do not have the problem.  I have stored them on concrete with no ill effects but I still do not recommend it. 

Bottom line, acid and alkali do not mix!!

Especially if  you have a charge attached to it delivering a steady trickle charge over weeks and months.

If the battery is in good condition, all you have to do is be sure its fully charged.  That way it can't freeze and wont sulfate.  Cold temperatures slow chemical reactions, so it's like the battery hibernates.  Disconnect it.  Store it in a cold place where it can't get wet.  A trickle charger isn't a necessity, and if you don't use one, you won't have to concern yourself with the water level.
Art

Interstate says storing on concrete is okay. See: http://www.interstatebatteries.com/www/faqs/tech_talk/maintenance/storing.htm

I think the charger at Harbor Freight you want is called a float charger. It can be left connected indefinitely. It can handle more than one battery as I recall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom