Storing plates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob&Deryl

So, for those of you not using paper plates....

How do you store your plates? Flat, stacked, vertically?

At home we have a Rubbermaid thing that lets up put a pile of 10? plates on the bottom and 8? plates above them in a normal upper cabinet so we get 2 shelves in the bottom of the cabinet on the left side without wasting too much space.

Not sure what we are going to do on the rv.

Our Corelle brand plates are stacked flat. We also have some regular (non-Corelle) plates that are stacked flat with non-slip rubber shelf liners between them.

The Corelle plates have survived many years in RVs and another set has survived similarly stacked for a number of years in boats.

Tom said:
Our Corelle brand plates are stacked flat. We also have some regular (non-Corelle) plates that are stacked flat with non-slip rubber shelf liners between them.

The Corelle plates have survived many years in RVs and another set has survived similarly stacked for a number of years in boats.

Ours are Corelli too. Plain white.

NY_Dutch said:
Another Corelle user, stacked flat with nothing in between. We've only been using this set full time since 2008 though, so they may not last... ;)
We use the felt because they rattle otherwise. Drives me crazy.

I try to use paper for easy meals like sandwiches and such, but for heavier dinners I bought a set of plastic coleman brand plates. There's two different sized plates and a bowl. Advantage being they're stronger than the paper, but still lighter than ceramic.

Same as Tom & others, i.e. Corelle, stacked flat.  Other dishware and pans also stacked but with scratch/vibration pads in between. The few pieces of nicer glassware we carry are individually wrapped in cotton socks or the foam sleeves made for that purpose.

The only RV we had that required some extra attention to dishware was a 1990 5W trailer with a rear kitchen.  It was really rough on the contents of the kitchen cabinets.

I have Corelle, but I found a plastic container purpose made for plates etc. It is about 4 inches wide, higher on one end than the other, stores the plates on edge. It holds 4 plates, 4 saucers, 4 bowls. Been bouncing around in the cabinet for about 6000 miles so far and not problems. Takes up lots less space then laying flat.

The place where we store our plates is tall, wide, but not very deep, so storing the plates laying down was impossible.  So, I made this and it works very well....

Attachments

• 1491small2l.jpg.jpg
    1491small2l.jpg.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 23
We eat mostly off paper plates, placed on a Corelle plate for ease of handling. Our last camper carried a full compliment of '50's melamine table settings, you know, that stuff that just won't die.

Had a hard time finding the wicker/bamboo paper plate holders, for the 10 inch paper plates, when the last one whore out, so we just use the Corelle salad plates we had been carrying anyway. stored flat, in a drawer, with rubber mats to stop the clanking.

we always carried a 4 place setting of Corelle, soup bowels, salad plates and all, in case of guests. Melmac coffee cups and the best chrystal wine glasses from salvation army stores, in cotton socks. (always a good selection of replacements when we break one)

Cheap sweet red wine rides in the cooler beside the bed, always properly chilled. Although lately, SWMBO has been slipping box wine intro the fridge...

Stacked, with rubber pads between every 2nd or 3rd plate. Ditto for frying pans and pots. The rubber shelf/drawer liner stuff works well enough. We got into the habit of doing that when we had trailers and our early motorhomes. Probably unnecessary when we graduated to a 40 ft DP, but old habits die hard.

Back
Top Bottom