Storing RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

Going to store our fifth wheel for a few months where no electricity is available. It has a residential fridge with inverter.  Is there a procedure to do that will keep the two batteries from discharging completely?  Thanks

If you plan on running the fridge all the time they will go dead. Now maybe a solar charger will work but others will have to respond about that.

that is too broad a question
what is a few months?
what is the temperature?
how old are the batteries?
are the batteries fully charged?
do they hold a charge? - even some new batteries wont hold a charge for long

lots of variables - me - i would take them out and put them on a charger even when fully charged and disconected mine will drain over a few weeks (4-5) to a minumim charge and they are brand new - im testing them as we speak

If I had lead/acid batteries, and were going to store our motorhome somewhere that didn't have dependable power, for two months or more, I would take the batteries out and put them on a trickle charger at home. Keeping them fully charged is the best way to prevent sulfation. If taking the batteries home isn't practical, I'd do what Gary recommended.

If you have enough solar to keep the batteries topped off, and the panels would have good sun exposure (no snow) I'd leave the batteries in the RV, check their water levels and let the solar keep them charged. I'd also turn the inverter and fridge off, and prop the fridge and freezer doors open.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Keeping them fully charged is the best way to prevent sulfation. If taking the batteries home isn't practical, I'd do what Gary recommended.

I'd also turn the inverter and fridge off, and prop the fridge and freezer doors open.

Kev

Really good advice.

Take the batteries out and put them on a battery maintainer, not a trickle charger. I use the Battery Tender Plus brand on mine. It monitors the battery voltage and charges only when needed.

if you decide to turn the fridge and inverter off , prop the fridge door open so mold won't form inside.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom