Stove works when valve at propane tank is turned off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just wish somebody can come up with which way is right from a reliable source.

Now, I don't know if I should fully open the propane valve or not.:confused:

Can somebody please find something official to convince me one way or the other?

I guess for now I will change from a quarter open to an eight open as a compromise.:D

-Don- Reno, NV

My rule of thumb is to always open them slowly and go to full open. The thing is that you don’t crank on it real hard just a little above snug. That way if someone goes to shut it, and they find that it will not turn because they’re trying to shut it the wrong direction they can still reverse what they were doing and then shut it.

I just wish somebody can come up with which way is right from a reliable source.

Now, I don't know if I should fully open the propane valve or not.:confused:

Can somebody please find something official to convince me one way or the other?

I guess for now I will change from a quarter open to an eight open as a compromise.:D

-Don- Reno, NV
Ask any propane professional such as a local installer. Every LP course I've taken has mentioned always opening tank and cylinder valves fully to back seat them and avoid leaks.

Ask any propane professional such as a local installer. Every LP course I've taken has mentioned always opening tank and cylinder valves fully to back seat them and avoid leaks.
That's what I was taught by the professional certifying the volunteer propane fillers at this park. Both to backseal it and as Rene mentioned, if the valve is partially open there's a 50/50 chance someone will turn it the wrong way while trying to shut it off in an emergency.

Gas valves in the US must be different than the UK, ours don't back seat. I stand corrected for what Don was asking.

I found where I read it! I found my old 1978 Cobra RV Class C manual here at my Cold Springs Valley house.

No date mentioned, but is for my 1978 Cobra RV. RV house section made in Canada. The rest is GM.

"Cobra Delivery, Warranty, And Service Manual."

Page 28. "Basic LP Safety Practices."

"2. When using the LP System, open the tank valve all the way and then close it 1/4 turn. This will enable you to determine whether the valve is open or closed."

So I have been doing it that way ever since I read that. Is it incorrect? Or is made in Canada different?

-Don- Cold Springs Valley, NV

I'm sticking with my old time learned method - open valve all the way with the idea that it "seats" on full open. I don't have, nor have I ever had a problem determining which way to turn something to open/close, loosen/tighten it.

I'm sticking with my old time learned method - open valve all the way with the idea that it "seats" on full open. I don't have, nor have I ever had a problem determining which way to turn something to open/close, loosen/tighten it.
Yeah, same here. Since that was the only reason stated, my propane valve will be binary from now on. Either fully off or fully on and will never be left anywhere in-between any more.

I found where I read it! I found my old 1978 Cobra RV Class C manual here at my Cold Springs Valley house.

No date mentioned, but is for my 1978 Cobra RV. RV house section made in Canada. The rest is GM.

"Cobra Delivery, Warranty, And Service Manual."

Page 28. "Basic LP Safety Practices."

"2. When using the LP System, open the tank valve all the way and then close it 1/4 turn. This will enable you to determine whether the valve is open or closed."

So I have been doing it that way ever since I read that. Is it incorrect? Or is made in Canada different?

This is the way that I was always taught with the gas bottle on a MIG welder. I tend to open my propane valves all the way, however.

Back
Top Bottom