Strange noises in the night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike1245

Just came home from our first short trip,3nights, in our new to us 2006 sightseer 26P. Had a thirty day warranted and wanted to test everything. Everything worked great no real complaints but a couple of questions.  1. We spent three days near Sedona AZ altitude about 4500 feet nights cooled down to 40 degrees.  As it cooled off at night we heard the pings and pops of contracting metal coming from the under carriage.  This happened most of the night as the temp cooled.  The noise came from all parts of the undercarriage and at random times.  This is not a big problem but is a little distracting.  Anyone else have this problem. 2. There is a reading type light to the left of the drivers seat. There is no switch to this light either on the light or anywhere around the drivers seat.  I can turn this light on by grounding it to the window frame.  Also if I use the battery disconnect this light stays on, Is it normal to have a light in the living area connected to the chassis battery.  This is a great motor home and we are very glad that we traded to a class A from a Class C.  Also love the quality of a Winnebago. Thanks 

mike1245 said:
As it cooled off at night we heard the pings and pops of contracting metal coming from the under carriage.  This happened most of the night as the temp cooled.  The noise came from all parts of the undercarriage and at random times.

Probably different thermal coefficients- I wouldn't be concerned. 

There is a reading type light to the left of the drivers seat. There is no switch to this light either on the light or anywhere around the drivers seat. 

The switch is probably in the dash area and close to the headlight switch - look for a dimmer-type lamp control like you would have for a dome light in an automobile.

Also if I use the battery disconnect this light stays on, Is it normal to have a light in the living area connected to the chassis battery. 

That is not normal.

John Canfield said:
The switch is probably in the dash area and close to the headlight switch - look for a dimmer-type lamp control like you would have for a dome light in an automobile.

The light control may be on the headlight switch as mine is.  try twisting the knob on the HL switch and see what happens.  Be gentle though!!

my headlight switches are rocker type switches one turns on headlights and one parking lights.  There is a dimmer type switch next to the head light switch, but is dims the dash lights.  Still can not find a switch that runs this light. 
Thanks for the answers.

If you push the dimmer switch to the end of its travel, perhaps you can then push it is bit farther to click it and turn on the light.

Thanks to all, rolling the dimmer switch to the end of it travel then a little farther worked
again thanks for the help

Strange noise during the day...... we heard a really really loud CLANK from under our motorhome, so loud I charged out the door to see what had hit us in this peaceful Alaskan park.

Nothing near us or visible. Asked the neighbors, they said their Basset hound had run full tilt under our motorhome and then back out. Apparently short as that Basset was, still did not clear the exhaust pipe.  Hard head too, did not seem to bother him at all!

Back
Top Bottom