Strange Sleep Number behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We've had Sleep Number beds (and one knock-off) in our homes and the coach for many years. Apart from a leak in a seam on the knock-off, and a bad remote on a SN, we've had no issues until ...

A few nights ago I awoke to a repeating 'clunking' sound. At the same time I realized that my half of the SN bed was almost flat (I usually have it inflated to 100/max). That's when I figured the clunk was coming from one or more valves inside the SN pump. When I tried to re-inflate my side, the pump ran but the air bag didn't inflate.

It's the middle of the night, and I don't wish to wake Chris so I can move/lift the mattress to more easily get to the pump. Instead, I relocate to the sofa for an uncomfortable night. The following day I reached under the bed and used my 'thump the pump' fix. My guess was correct (i.e. a stuck valve), and it became unstuck. The bag inflated, and has stayed that way.

This hi tech fix reminded me of the time we were being met at SFO by a limo. All the other limos in line had their trunks up/open (ready to load luggage), but ours had the hood up/open. The driver explained that the engine wouldn't start, and his boss had called for help. A guy who's business is 'fixing' limos in/around SFO airport eventually showed up.

He got out of his truck carrying a hammer and a piece of wire with alligator clips. He explained that a common no-start issue was a stuck or bad starting solenoid, and proceeded to thump the solenoid with his hammer. When it still didn't start, he hot-wired the limo and it fired right up. Good enough to get the limo to the shop for a permanent fix. Meanwhile, we sat on the median waiting for a 'replacement' limo to show up, which it eventually did.

My first car was a '64 Dodge with 100k+ miles.  Frequently used the same method on my starter.  In school and too poor to buy a rebuilt one.

When I worked at the Chevy dealers, we'd beat on the gas tank with a rubber mallet to try and get one more start out of a bad fuel pump so we wouldn't have to push the car into the shop.

When you see a lead that says "Strange Sleep Number behavior", you've got to wonder what "strange sleeper behavior" is going on.,,,, :eek: >>>D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom