Strangest RV park rules, and policies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ChasA said:
Now that is obscene.
Why? It is a huge washer, probably four loads and a huge dryer. Saves me time. I get my entire months laundry done in one load, under two hours total. And they take credit cards so I don't have to screw around with a bunch of quarters. It is extremely clean and well maintained with a real nice looking lady attendant. It is a delightful place to do laundry.

The weirdest policy we ever encountered was many years ago somewhere in Colorado. I can?t even remember where now, except it was set deep in trees. We had a pop up and only two kids, so it really was a long time ago! The campground owners were absolutely anal retentive about how we parked on the concrete slab. We had to be absolutely, completely centered, and they would not let me direct Kevin on the parking. They absolutely refused to allow anyone but them to guide the rig onto the single slab. Remember, this was a mid sized pop up! We had to go back and forward, moving literally a couple of inches side to side until they were satisfied. Oh, and children were not allowed in the (advertised) pool at all and no noise at all. Not just quiet after some reasonable time, but my kids should not be heard of by any adjacent camper at all! It was late, and all this stupidity was not known before we paid so we just out up with it. We left early the next morning, and black listed the site everywhere we could back in those days. A few years later we looked them up, hoping the ownership had changed, but the campground was completely closed. Couldn?t have happened to a nicer pair of owners! ?

SeilerBird said:
Why? It is a huge washer, probably four loads and a huge dryer. Saves me time. I get my entire months laundry done in one load, under two hours total. And they take credit cards so I don't have to screw around with a bunch of quarters. It is extremely clean and well maintained with a real nice looking lady attendant. It is a delightful place to do laundry.
Well... It would have been good if you explained that in first place. I retract my statement  I was thinking of a normal laundromat sized machine.

ChasA said:
Well... It would have been good if you explained that in first place. I retract my statement  I was thinking of a normal laundromat sized machine.
I am sorry. I am a very poor typist so I tend to answer questions very briefly if at all possible.

There is a really nice CG in Sedona, AZ that has a rule that all occupants must be inside their trailers by 10 PM. No sitting outside after that. While I do like the park, I despise being treated like a child with a bedtime. Most adults know how to use their soft voice so as not to disturb others.
RichH

darsben said:
YOU DO either in higher camping fees or an outright charge.
Nothing is free

Yep! The park we are staying in for the duration of Lin An's travel nurse assignment required a background check for long term stays and we had to pay the cost.  Caught me by surprise, while I get the BG check I would have thought the park since they are requiring this would pay, but alas as you say nothing is free.  To the OP and strange RV park rules, this park also charges $10.00 for early arrival.  Never heard that before as parks we have stayed in either let us set-up early if the site had been vacated or indicated the site was not vacated and we had to wait.

We were at a campground in Nova Scotia this summer that insisted all fires be out by 11 oclock. I can see having noise reduced after such time, but not even allowed the fire to be going seemed excessive. At precisely 11 oclock, a friendly and apologetic gentlemen came by with a large jug of water and extinguished our fire. That pretty much put an end to our night.

RE: the clothesline rule - it's 100% liability/insurance related. The parks couldn't care less about how the clotheslines look and their concern about damaging trees is probably negligible. But imagine the liability they would incur if someone (most likely a kid, probably cutting across a site), ran into one about neck high?

When it comes to noise, I had to laugh last weekend while we were at a state park in upstate NY. Not surprisingly, there were a number of kids in the park for their family's last fling before schools starts. One little girl had a particularly piercing happy scream that could have gotten really annoying, but then I heard what appeared to be her grandmother tell her: "Please use your indoor scream, dear." And the little girl went right on playing at a greatly reduced volume the rest of the weekend. We were quite pleased... :)

Gods Country said:
A campground in Kentucky had a no bikini or provocative clothing rule.

At first it sounds like a bad thing, but I have seen lots of campers that look better and better as you add clothes! ;D

We used when I was a kid my family used to frequent a campground that was a KOA. It was nice, had a good store, an upstairs game room, pool, and mini golf. We got out of camping for a few years after selling the popup and didn't return until we had purchased a travel trailer. When we went back there it was no longer a KOA, but a privately owned campground. Much like another poster experienced they were very anal about how you parked on their sites, which were all crushed sandstone, and God forbid touching the 3 feet of grass in between sites. The quiet hours started somewhere around 8, but you could still sit outside at least. They also gated the entrance at 6pm and you had to have someone come open it for you if you were out enjoying life. Gone was the store, game room, and mini golf. The pool had laughable short hours of operation. Basically from what we could tell was that they were trying to cater to the older crowd with higher end coaches that would just set up and stay inside their rigs. They only had about a quarter of their spaces open to families, or those with any other type of towable RV. After our stay there we referred to it as the POW camp and never went back. I looked it up recently and found much to my amusement found that they are now closed. Hopefully someone will buy the property and reopen a more welcoming feeling campground.

That way you can be fairly certain no idiot will back into your already parked rig, hit a tree, Take out a power pedestal, run over the water spigot.

Our driver is instructed to only take directions from one person; That's me if my other half is driving, or Chris if I'm driving. A long time ago we developed our own set of signals and location of the spotter after various damages to our coach, thanks to well-meaning 'helpers' (campground staff or rally volunteers).

We've had campground staff yell their well-meaning instructions to the driver, and they get told politely to shut up. The first time Chris reversed the coach into our own lot at this park, a well-meaning neighbor came out to give her different instructions. I politely, but firmly, told him she'd only take directions from me. He walked off in a huff. I went to talk to him after Chris successfully parked the coach with no damage, explained the "why" in more detail, and he was good with it.

Tom said:
Our driver is instructed to only take directions from one person; That's me if my other half is driving, or Chris if I'm driving. A long time ago we developed our own set of signals and location of the spotter after various damages to our coach, thanks to well-meaning 'helpers' (campground staff or rally volunteers).

We've had campground staff yell their well-meaning instructions to the driver, and they get told politely to shut up. The first time Chris reversed the coach into our own lot at this park, a well-meaning neighbor came out to give her different instructions. I politely, but firmly, told him she'd only take directions from me. He walked off in a huff. I went to talk to him after Chris successfully parked the coach with no damage, explained the "why" in more detail, and he was good with it.

Okay I will put it another way. When you. mess up. and hit my already parked rig someone will know you did it and tell me.  Does that make you feel better. You do not have to take direction from the staff at the RV park but if you do not and have a mishap that is on you. If you do and have a mishap the parks insurance will take care of my damage. I have seen this personally first hand last winter.

In 35 years of RVing, we've never come close to hitting another RV while parking at an assigned site, either reversing or driving forward. If we did, we carry insurance that would cover it. I doubt that a park's insurance would cover our mishap, and I wouldn't expect them to.

One practice I've been waiting to see implemented is what I see when we travel down the Pacific coast by boat; Marinas (and yacht clubs) require you show your USCG vessel documentation or state registration and insurance. I just haven't figured out why RV parks don't ask for this stuff before letting you register.

glen54737 said:
I've had people insisting on directing your parking too.

I've only experienced that one time...at a place in ABQ.  He ushered us in his "follow-Me" golf cart to the site and then jumped out and proceeded to direct me in....  I just thought it was weird.  I was polite and played along but honestly I didn't pay attention to him, backed in.  Stopped the appropriate distance in for the connections, and shut her down.  Then he proceeded to teach me about the sewer connection, telling me that the little hose bib was for water, etc....I felt very uncomfortable...the same as I do about valet parking I suppose......I didn't know if I was supposed to tip him or what. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom