streaming in an RV in most parks that have bad coverage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After having poor to no reception during our last month-long Midwest trip and finding out that T-Mobile lied to us regarding having an unlimited hotspot on our new phones, I have decided to do just the opposite of what the OP is inquiring about, and I'm getting Starlink before our next cross country trip. It isn't cheap, but I'm tired of the poor signals we get throughout the country, both staying in RV parks as well as dry camping on the road. The nice thing about the RV package is that you can start and stop anytime you want, billed on a monthly basis.

After having poor to no reception during our last month-long Midwest trip and finding out that T-Mobile lied to us regarding having an unlimited hotspot on our new phones, I have decided to do just the opposite of what the OP is inquiring about, and I'm getting Starlink before our next cross country trip. It isn't cheap, but I'm tired of the poor signals we get throughout the country, both staying in RV parks as well as dry camping on the road. The nice thing about the RV package is that you can start and stop anytime you want, billed on a monthly basis.

But don't forget that Starlink has a serious "clear sky" requirement that is very different from being able to aim a satellite dish through the trees. We have camped in lots of place where finding an acceptable location for the dish would have been challenging or impossible even with a long cable or a tall pole. My residential Starlink points at what looks like a virtually open sky and still encounters obstructions around the edges of the filed of view.

Yes....Starlink has limitations. At home, same as above, we have ours in an area we'd consider "wide open sky". Except there are some taller trees in the distance and Starlink considers that to be about 3% blockage. It means I can't be on a VPN and/or expect a MS Teams call to stay connected. It will literally drop the call about every minute or disrupt Citrix connections. For that reason I can't use it at home for work.

But for general home/recreational use, streaming, surfing, it's good. I've noticed the bandwidth starts to choke during peak use periods. Starlink is over-selling the service and satellites over us are at capacity.

Given Starlink sats are LEO the concentration and their footprint is always changing, but any given snapshot doesn't show a lot of density considering the many thousands of potential users.

1667323378460.png

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

At my house I complain that my WiFi extender doesn’t often give me more than 40GB download, but I am happy to be able to just watch a show without buffering when in the MH. We used hot spots for a few years, and it took two (different carriers) to have a decent chance. Still not always effective, and in some of our favorite spot (Quartzsite and Death Valley) no cell-based system worked at all for streaming. We have a Starlink now, but only have a limited amount of time with it. So far so good, but I will be interested in how it handles my two challenging spots this winter.

Reactions: Tom
When there is no coverage, there is no coverage... It seems like your most important criteria is work from home and a second criteria is streaming sports.

One improvement is to get a cell signal repeater and mount it on a raiseable pole. Cell is basically line if sight so the higher you get it the better.

The second thing to do is use a cell tower mapping tool and compare tower locations and density to the RV park location if it is that mission critical.

Here's a tower map of near where I live from cellmapper.com. Note the scale is 5km so I am a few km from the nearest tower and I am heavily treed. I get 2-3 bars at home.

View attachment 158955
this sounds like what I need.. thanks

We use a Visible Wireless phone for our hot spot and if needed a cell booster antenna, I have both a Yagi and omnidirectional mounted to a pole I can get extended 6 feet above the trailers roof. We use the hot spot for work and streaming. We use about 100 gigs a month and we pay 25.00 per month, I think it went up recently but we are able to keep the plan we had. Been using Visible for several years and it has always performed well for us.

This is similar to what I have. Word of caution - don't mount the antenna near the booster box. It creates an interference on the band that shuts down the cell tower coverage. I had the booster antenna down and if was within about 4 feet of the booster box inside the coach.

An AT&T guy came to the door, knocked and asked if I had a booster. We turned it off and his signal went back to full strength.

Also, if there is no signal - like 0-1 bar there is nothing to boost so it won't help.

Cell Booster

1667478349370.png

Something I've run into even in my limited travels to RV parks is "local interference" - folks that show up running several hotspots or wifi devices (printers, cameras, baby monitors, etc) all in the 2.4GHz band. So what might have been a useable link signal to the RV park wifi gets swamped out by all the wireless gadgets people haul around. I use a ubiquiti nanostation for accessing wifi but plug in a cable to the router, so at least in my RV I'm not hammering myself but when you're surrounded by folks all running wifi gadgets, not much you can do. It's surprising to see how many active devices there are doing a spectrum sweep even in a remote park. I know this is separate from the cell network/starlink part of the equation but just observing how much RF soup is created with all this wireless connectivity. A starlink or cell hotspot can easily be wiping out your neighbor's wifi link to something else. Another topic of discussion might be how many people leave this stuff turned on with the default passwords...

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I didn't read all the posts here, so I may be repeating what someone else has already addressed. For us, it was a building - discovery process to finally put together a system that works for internet use, including streaming video on our Roku televisions.

Without going into the long history, here is the final outcome.

We use Visible and recently upgraded to the 5g system. It's now $45 a month for truly unlimited internet. We purchased a ZTE $79 phone from Visible that is dedicated only for our internet use. Although it has a phone number, we never us it.

Visible's limitation is, you can connect only one device to it at a time, if that means using the phone's hot spot or using a hard wire, only 1 device can be connected at a time.

Enter a portable wifi router (1 device) that hard wire plugs into the phone. We ended up with a Gl iNet router click here and we now use this one (this is our second router) from them, the first one died after 2 years This one, click here.

Now, 2 Roku televisions running streaming video, 3 laptop computers (all company laptops working from home) and 1 personal laptop and 1 ipad all work flawless at the same time.

Move forward in time a little more...

We've traveled a LOT over the last 2 years. Covid did not stop us at all. We traveled and worked from the camper, and had a marvelous time.

It wasn't until this year we landed in a few campgrounds that had very, very poor phone service. We also have AT&T phones and data plans on them. Sometimes, neither worked, or worked very poor.

Enter weboost... click here! ... specifically, this one, click here! And then we went back to some of those campgrounds that had almost no phone service at all, and PRESTO! We had streaming video again!

Here's some photos of our "test run". We took the whole kick'in-ka'boot-al with us without the camper. It worked great at 2 different Indiana State Parks where we had no hot spot service and extremely bad phone service with both AT&T and Verision.

0VmABGa.jpg

qnk52vU.jpg

p2rmDdp.jpg

Did it cost? Yes.... The weboost runs over $500, but it's a one time purchase. The phone ran $79, a one time purchase. Visible service is $45 a month for truly unlimited service, and can be canceled at any time, dropped, and picked up any time again, no contracts, no long term commitments, month to month, easy peasy! The Gl iNet router cost about $40, a one time purchase. The stand for my weboost antenna $0! I made that out of scrap lumber given to me that came out of an old barn.

We have found, that if we have only 1 bar on the phones, the weboost works great! It also improves our AT&T phones and the internet quality on them too, in addition to the AT&T hot spots.

We are currently at an Indiana State Park we have not been to in a long-long time, because we could not get phone service or internet service here. We've been here for a week now, and my wife's company laptop is working just fine. (I'm retired now) but that Roku television is doing fantastic, as is my personal laptop, from where I am typing this post at this very moment.

Well, that's how we do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom