Streaming Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

truline

We've recently cut the cord so to speak at home and are now fulltime streaming at home. This is fine for the home that has internet service such as Comcast. However, this will not work for us when we are on the road in our 5er. I'm thinking of adding a cellular booster and then using my cellphone as a hotspot to provide the data connection for streaming. I was able to get a stream going today with a Fire TV and my cell. The picture was not as good as I would like and I think the cell booster is the way to go. Question for the forum is, has anyone one this? If so, what equipment did you use and how was the result.

I'd like some input before I plunk down $500 or more on a booster. I'm not worried about data caps or the difference between plan unlimited data and hotspot data. I've got that covered, I am more concerned with the quality of signal reproduction in order to facilitate streaming.

We stream frequently with our two hotspots, one with AT&T and the other with Visible/Verizon. Both have unlimited data, although the AT&T plan is grandfathered and no longer offered. We did use a $600 booster for several years with generally good results, but last year I tested using an external dual directional antenna setup that uses the MIMO (Multiple In, Multiple Out) feature of our hotspots. I installed the twin antennas above the Winegard Sensar TV antenna on our roof, and so far it has equaled or outperformed the booster in the more remote places we've visited. In any given area, one carrier is likely to be better than the other, so we switch the antenna set around as needed. We rarely use the OTA antenna for local channels, so it serves us well for aiming the cell antennas instead. And the MIMO set was a lot cheaper than the better boosters...

Attachments

• 0728201649a_HDR.jpg
    0728201649a_HDR.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 13
Using a cell booster won't necessarily improve the picture quality you see. These are digital signal; increasing the signal strength doesn't always improve anything. If the signal you are receiving is adequate then making it stronger doesn't always improve things. The previous post already pointed out the fact the MIMO antennas will now often outperform a signal booster.

I don't know what signal quality you consider acceptable, but I'm quite happy if we can achieve a stable 720p video that doesn't rebuffer. Quite a bit of the time we do get 1080p but I don't have a problem if we don't. In fact, I've been known to watch a show in SD as long as its watchable.

I was reading a recent post from an RVer who insisted that he would only accept 1080p and preferred 4k resolution. My reaction was that he was welcome to have his priorities but he probably would be unhappy with the reality of what he could achieve except near big cities.

I have streamed shows on 4Glte and 5G (not to be confused with 5G wi-fi) is even faster. The only issue is streaminmg video eats bandwidth like crazy if you have a LIMITED plan you may find yourself throttled.

FMCA Tech Connect Sprint/T-mobile Totally Unlimited NO data caps (At least at this time)

Using a cell booster won't necessarily improve the picture quality you see. These are digital signal; increasing the signal strength doesn't always improve anything. If the signal you are receiving is adequate then making it stronger doesn't always improve things. The previous post already pointed out the fact the MIMO antennas will now often outperform a signal booster.

I don't know what signal quality you consider acceptable, but I'm quite happy if we can achieve a stable 720p video that doesn't rebuffer. Quite a bit of the time we do get 1080p but I don't have a problem if we don't. In fact, I've been known to watch a show in SD as long as its watchable.

I was reading a recent post from an RVer who insisted that he would only accept 1080p and preferred 4k resolution. My reaction was that he was welcome to have his priorities but he probably would be unhappy with the reality of what he could achieve except near big citi

I was reading a recent post from an RVer who insisted that he would only accept 1080p and preferred 4k resolution. My reaction was that he was welcome to have his priorities but he probably would be unhappy with the reality of what he could achieve except near big cities.
Thanks docj, I am not worried about trying to get 1080p. I am actually ok with 480p. The TV is only capable of 720p max. I am really looking to have good quality signal without buffering interruption. The spinning wheel of death while trying to pickup a weather report is not acceptable.

We stream frequently with our two hotspots, one with AT&T and the other with Visible/Verizon. Both have unlimited data, although the AT&T plan is grandfathered and no longer offered. We did use a $600 booster for several years with generally good results, but last year I tested using an external dual directional antenna setup that uses the MIMO (Multiple In, Multiple Out) feature of our hotspots. I installed the twin antennas above the Winegard Sensar TV antenna on our roof, and so far it has equaled or outperformed the booster in the more remote places we've visited. In any given area, one carrier is likely to be better than the other, so we switch the antenna set around as needed. We rarely use the OTA antenna for local channels, so it serves us well for aiming the cell antennas instead. And the MIMO set was a lot cheaper than the better boosters...
NY Dutch, your setup is very intriguing, can you provide more detail on it?

I don't know about other streaming providers but both Netflix and Prime allow you to download stuff to your computer, phone or tablet. I found out the hard way that they expire in a given (10?) number of days though. They are encrypted so you can't just copy them either.

However, if you had an HDMI recording device, usually called a 'game capture DVR' you might be able to. I haven't tried it myself.

NY Dutch, your setup is very intriguing, can you provide more detail on it?
Ok, the Amazon link below is the antenna set I used. The 'Y' bracket I used to attach them to my Sensar OTA antenna was fabricated from a piece of 1/4" aluminum scrap I had on hand. The bracket is attached so the antennas stay aligned with the Sensar both up and down, but it's only aimable while cranked up of course. The two coax runs from the antennas were routed through an existing cable port to the hotspot location inside. The photo below shows the antenna set from the back. The red arrows are since removed stickers used to make sure small condensation drains are installed at the bottom.

0728201650.jpg

Thanks docj, I am not worried about trying to get 1080p. I am actually ok with 480p. The TV is only capable of 720p max. I am really looking to have good quality signal without buffering interruption. The spinning wheel of death while trying to pickup a weather report is not acceptable.
We are finding cell signal coverage is becoming less of an issue and are not experiencing the wheel of death as often! It sounds like NY_DUTCH might have the best solution for the issue you are having.

Just a note on my post above, the 90 degree angle between the antennas is an important part of the setup when using twin Yagi's. The actual orientation isn't as critical as the angle that insures equal reception regardless of the polarization of the transmitted signal. I chose the "dropped wing" layout so the wind forces would push down on the assembly with the antenna cranked down while underway. The same reason the batwing tips are curved downward.

I was considering this antenna vice the twin yagi because of the performance descriptions in heavy tree cover. I find we need the most help in state Parks.

Most of our park stays are in state and national parks, including many that are fairly heavily treed. I'd be interested in comparing the performance with our twin yagis, but I don't think our budget would tolerate the cost just to test one... ;)

Back
Top Bottom