Street legal Scooter as a toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curiosity

I know I saw it here somewhere but my searches failed.

I remember seeing reference to a Scooter that could go highway speeds.  I am not looking for a full size motorcycle just something I can run around see the sites, pick up supplies stuff like that and carry it on the back of a class C or A.

Anything 150cc and up.  From cheep China imports to highendJapanese  But you will need a motorcycle license.... My state via in the last few years started ishueing real plates and state regerstration on 50cc mopeds which only need a stardard DL. Makeing it much easier to use out of state

Just say no to china scoots they are built worse than Rv's

Buy a brand name scooter like a Suzuki Burgman 650cc for expressway speeds or a smaller one like a Honda PCX 150, 250, 300cc scoot for speeds up to 55 to 70mph.

Quality Scooter Manufacturers are;

Honda
Yamaha
Suzuki
Aprilia
Vespa
Piaggio
Kymco

Check that your hitch is solid and don't cheap out on the carrier you purchase. Also be aware that a scooter has lower ground clearance so you may need a longer ramp to reduce the angle to the horizontal carrier rail.
I agree with going with a brand name scooter as durability will be better, and parts & service will be more readily available. If you will be 2-up, I would stay above 250cc.

Be aware scooters may not be legal in all states, I know here in Louisiana they are not http://www.dmv.org/la-louisiana/other-types.php

We have 2 Yamaha Majesty's.  400cc motor. Will run 100MPH.  Gets 65MPG.
I have a hitchmount carrier we put it on with a small ramp.  Easy one man job to load or unload.
(we only take one scooter with us on the motorhome)
Only problem is when the weather is bad...  :-(

Bob

Attachments

• scooter and motorhome 001.jpg
    scooter and motorhome 001.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 50
Here is a picture of my enduro bike on the rack.
Cant find a picture of the Scooter on the rack right now..
Bob

Attachments

• Old motorhome and bike rack mh.jpg
    Old motorhome and bike rack mh.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 61
Hedhunter. Sharp and sexy looking.  Do they have any storage compartment. Do they make a lot of noise?

I also used a Yamaha Majesty as a Toad for 4 years. They are great scooters. They have undersea storage that will fit 2 full size helmets. Plus I put a tail trunk on for extra storage. I even rigged up to pull my tote to the dump station.  I pulled a 6x12 enclosed trailer..

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1455141755980.jpg
    FB_IMG_1455141755980.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 29
My sister has one that looks a lot like Hedhunters scooters. It is 200cc and licensed as a motorcycle. That body design usually has storage space under the seat, and "glove box" compartments in the cowling.

I like my Yamaha TW200. A trail bike that can hit 60~70 on the street, it is to a Vespa what a Jeep is to a VW Beetle.

Attachments

• tw-n-rv.jpg
    tw-n-rv.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 26
Back when I rode such things, I had one rule which served me well.

Never ride something which will not out accelerate a German Shepherd.

This proved to be a good rule several times.

Isaac-1 said:
Be aware scooters may not be legal in all states, I know here in Louisiana they are not http://www.dmv.org/la-louisiana/other-types.php

http://www.hallsnola.com/shop/land/scooters/
Interesting that they are sold there. I think what the DMV is calling scooters is something different

Found a picture of the majesty on the rear of our old mh.
It is 50 state legal...
Bob

Attachments

• mh with majesty motorhome.jpg
    mh with majesty motorhome.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom