Striper fishing in Ca. Delta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FX

Tom or anyone else who might know-
Today I went to buy some supplies for some shore striper fishing I plan to do this Saturday.  I normally buy the Gamakatsu Octopus hook in size 4/0.  There was a new guy there at the place where I buy my gear.  This is a well known shop with very knowledgable staff (not sure if I can use names on the forum). 
This guy said the 4/0 hook were to small and said to get the 8/0 hooks.  I went ahead and bought these but they sure are big hooks.  Just kind of curious if anyone else uses hooks this big for striper.  Also curious as to what size line people are using.  I went with a guide out of Martinez last year who said he uses 20 or 25 lb test for his main line and then 50 lb for his leader.  His thinking on the 50 lb leader was in case a sturgeon took the bait.

8X sounds moe like a gaff than a hook  ;D. I use 4/0 but have used up to 6/0.

FX said:
he uses 20 or 25 lb test for his main line and then 50 lb for his leader. His thinking on the 50 lb leader was in case a sturgeon took the bait.

His method may be correct but his logic isn't. A "big fish" will break the weakest link in the chain which, in his example, is the 25 lb line. The real reason for the heavier leader is that a sturgeon has razor sharp diamonds on their back (that's why sturgeon are often called "diamond backs") and this will easily cut a 25 lb line as the fish rolls. I use stainless steel leaders that I make from SS wire and crimps, which obviously needs a crimper. But I think you can buy them ready made.

Just remember to use leather gloves if you decide to handle that big sturgeon.

Thanks guys.  I have a feeling you you were both right.  I went ahead and used the 8x with the fresh shad.  I caught nothing but 3 cats.  One big one and 2 small ones.  Decided to keep them since that was all I catching.  Several weeks back I was using the 4x and caught 40-50 small stripers between me and my buddy, almost in the same exact spot.  I was way out on Whiskey Slew Rd.  Maybe they could see more of the larger hook and were frightened???
BTW, this was the 1st cat I have eaten out of the delta and must tell you I took one bite and almost spit it out.  Tasted like they took the flavor of garbage and put it inside a fish.  It was a real waste after cleaning them and all that.  From now on, all cats I catch will be thrown back!

As I mentioned in a prior topic, cats are bottom feeders and I wouldn't eat any cats caught in the delta.

I saw lots of folks fishing from the bank and shore when we drove around the Rio Vista and Brannan Island areas yesterday.

I am almost postitive they had the Rio Vista Striper Derby this Saturday.  That's why I stayed clear of it. 

FX said:
I am almost postitive they had the Rio Vista Striper Derby this Saturday.

That's what my other half thought.

BTW what were you using for bait when you caught the catfish?

Tom said:
cats are bottom feeders and I wouldn't eat any cats caught in the delta.

Tom,

Are dogs any better?  ;D

Phil

Phil

Haven't seen any dogfish in the CA Delta. In fact, I haven't seen any of those since I was in the UK. They're sal****er fish and probably wouldn't survive in fresh water. Their fancier name is 'rock salmon' and nowadays you're likely to see them served in fish & chip shops instead of cod in some parts of the UK.

Unlike catfish, I've never seen their name abbreviated to 'dogs'. Is that a Utah expression or some slang you picked up in the desert?

Striper's!! Dogfish (sand sharks)!!? now you're talking my language.
We catch sal****er striper's (they all came from sal****er initially) here on the outer banks of NC well into the 40/50 pound range and I assure you that you need a 6 to 8 gamakatsu circle hook just to hold enough bait to get their attention.? Most folks use a size 12 or 13 Mustad hook made from heaver stock and bigger than the gamy.? The best striper fishing on the east coast is between mid November and mid January on Hatteras Island.? Thats also the best shark fishing time.? Not many folks (none) intentionally fish for small dog sharks.? They're a real nuisance when surf or bottom fishing for striper.? They range from two to three and a half feet in length.? We have two varieties, smooth and spiny.? The spiny tip has spines on the leading edge of the dorsal fins.? Neither really has teeth as we know sharks teeth.  Just a rough sandpaper like gum.  They are edible and even delicious if handled properly when caught.? They must be immediately bled to prevent urea contamination of the meat.? They have that characteristic in common with their toothy brothers the Bull, the Black Tip, the Thresher and others.  They make for delicious fish and chips and are a more than adequate substitute for striper or cod in fish chowders.  I was fishing on Emerald Isle just this weekend and caught Blue Fish, Pompano, Sea/Virginia Mullet (whiting or King Fish to some) Skate, Spot, Gray Trout and one small Sting Ray.  Had the blues for dinner tonight.  lou

Here's why they make size 8/0 Gamakatsu hooks.  49 inches, 42 pounds.  Caught Hatteras island, NC Dec. 9, 2004.

Attachments

• DCP_0015.jpg
    DCP_0015.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 27
Sounds like you have some good fishing.

Newbee said:
I assure you that you need a 6 to 8 gamakatsu circle hook just to hold enough bait to get their attention.

That's a small hook for stripers, at least on the west coast. I think FX was talking about size 8/0 and I suspect you are too.

Nice fish, although not unusual for bay area stripers.

The dogfish I was referring to in the Gulf is not in the shark family, but I can't find a reference anywhere on the net.  Maybe that was just a local name for something else.  It was a small very ugly bottom fish.  On the small sharks, I can remember standing about waist deep in the water at the point at Hatteras with thousands of the two foot long sharks (dog fish I guess) swimming around me.  I agree, Hatteras is a great fishing location.

Yes I was talking about a 8/0 hook and that is one nice fish Newbee...that is what I am dreaming for!

You can find stripers like that in the Delta and the bay. Catching them is a little more difficult  ;D

All this talk about fishing made me launch the bass boat and head out for the sloughs this morning. A productive morning, but I left without my lunch. I'll probably head out again late afternoon/early evening.

Back
Top Bottom